The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Eheim 2213 Canister Filter need help with parts (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=199185)

Dayumdanny 12-03-2012 03:20 AM

Eheim 2213 Canister Filter need help with parts

I wanted to customize my filtration by having 2 intake tubes (inlet pipes) that leads to one tube and back into the canister filter again.

Basically an inlet pipe on each side of the tank that meets in the middle into one tube. I know I need some kind of a "y" connector. Can someone link me to the part I will need?

I am also going to need another inlet pipe. I'm not sure where to start looking. I checked on eBay for the inlet pipes but I'm not sure where to start to look for the y connector

Darkblade48 12-03-2012 03:37 AM

A "Y" is exactly what you need. There is nothing special to it, just make sure you get one that fits the diameter of your tubing.

For the extra intake pipe, your LFS and eBay are as good as any a place to start looking.

OVT 12-03-2012 04:25 AM

bigalsonline has a good assortment of Eheim parts

In.a.Box 12-03-2012 04:58 AM

keep in mind, 2 inlet mean more water will flow into the canister. The pump must pump up fast enough to keep up with the water flowing down.

Downgrade the inlet size. if its 1" use 2x 1/2"

Darkblade48 12-03-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In.a.Box (Post 2097445)
keep in mind, 2 inlet mean more water will flow into the canister. The pump must pump up fast enough to keep up with the water flowing down.

While this is true, you have to make sure that you take the cross section of the tubing into consideration; it is not as simple as dividing the tubing diameter by two.

Dayumdanny 12-03-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkblade48 (Post 2097487)
While this is true, you have to make sure that you take the cross section of the tubing into consideration; it is not as simple as dividing the tubing diameter by two.

Can you elaborate more on this?

OVT 12-03-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Why?
I could use some education here. Thx.

Soothing Shrimp 12-03-2012 01:01 PM

I think he's talking about how thick the wall is on the pipes.

Darkblade48 12-03-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayumdanny (Post 2097536)
Can you elaborate more on this?

If you take a look at even a simplified flow rate equation, you'll notice that flow rate is is related to the diameter of the pipe (tubing) raised to the 4th power.

Going from 1 inch tubing to 1/2 inch tubing would not halve the flow, but would actually reduce it to 1/16 the flow instead (assuming equal pressure, as the water in the canister filter that is being pumped out by the canister head is being replaced by siphoning action only).

Quote:

Originally Posted by OVT (Post 2097546)
Why?
I could use some education here. Thx.

See my explanation above.

A 1 inch pipe would have flow rate F, where as two 1 inch pipes would have 2F flow rate.

However,
Quote:

Is not true either. If there is extra water, it just means that the water will be sitting around in the tubing for a longer period of time. It is not like it will leak out from the filter, etc.

So, to answer the original question: Just add another intake filter, with tubing of the same size, and you will be fine.

PlantedRich 12-03-2012 02:40 PM

The flow rate can , in theory, be different but not much in this case. The flow from more water in the intake will just be ignored as it is balanced with the output side. If you shut the filter off, it just sits there. The impeller is what controls the flow.

For a more practical way to get the tubing and fittings, I would go to the home center for CPVC pipe. CPVC rather than PVC for the smaller size. Els,tees, and caps are 1/10 the price of tubing and much easier/cheaper to fit together and in place since they are solid. Paint it any color you like. Once designed, the intake can be as simple as slots cut in the pipe with a hacksaw. Join them together and then fit the tubing to it. You can do the same with the outlet if you wish.

Dayumdanny 12-03-2012 03:18 PM

So there's no actual Y connector for the tubing? I'm going to have to use PVC/CPVC Y connector and attatch my tubes as well as sealing it?

PlantedRich 12-03-2012 05:47 PM

In fittings of most common types, "Y" is less common than "tee". There may be Some but I don't see them as often. When I do tank plumbing, I want it to run around the tank top out of sight more often. This doesn't work as well with a y so I've never spent much time looking for y"s .

Dayumdanny 12-03-2012 06:06 PM

T or Y it doesnt matter to me, as long as i can get the tubes to go from two intake tubes back into 1. So PVC T or Y connectors will work fine? What would I have to use to seal the connector to the eheim tube?

OVT 12-03-2012 09:27 PM

http://www.f3images.com/IMD/250/FT79...-Insert-99.jpg

from here

Dayumdanny 12-03-2012 11:30 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Exactly what I'm lookingfr