The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   New York (
-   -   Dwarf Cichlids on Long Island (

JaredK511 12-01-2012 08:44 PM

Dwarf Cichlids on Long Island
Hi, can someone tell me where I could find dwarf cichlids (preferably dwarf cockatoo cichlids) on Long Island for an affordable price? Are there any breeders?

I ordered some from Pet Warehouse but I wasn't impressed by the condition of them and they asked for $25 each.

kubalik 12-01-2012 11:04 PM

the sunrise blvd pets warehouse had checkerboards for 5.99 , they are not as colorful as cockatoo , but not nearly as expensive and more can be kept in one tank. You may wanna contact Frank from and ask if he can get you some apistos if you prefer them.

acitydweller 12-02-2012 12:55 PM

Ive only come across cockatoo cichlids in NJ at fish hut. I didn't catch then price but they looked very healthy. Is was about 3-4 weeks ago.

kubalik 12-02-2012 01:00 PM

Yeah, in NJ they also had Panduros , they were about $30 I think. There is a store in brooklyn that has apistos sometimes also, but not lower then $25

partobe 12-02-2012 01:21 PM

I just picked up some balloon rams from pacific in china town 3 for 17$ great condition eat like little pigs great color.
they had several different types of cichlids not sure if they had the cockatoo but def worth a call

VivaDaWolf 12-02-2012 06:59 PM

I know pacific used to have uh...agassizi.... and I know brooklyn zoo and aquarium cariied panduro a while back. havent seen any lately

gordonrichards 12-03-2012 05:55 PM

There are a few breeders but they are not in the forums.
Sometimes I can get the double reds in. Aside from those I have access to standard german/gold/electric rams. I don't want to ship fish out, but you could pickup from me.

I can't offer breeder pairs, you'd have to purchase a handful of them to get couples.

There is someone that went to a NJAS meeting that I spoke with who was breeding some yellow and orange ... worth a check on the Jersey page!