The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Tank Journals (
-   -   RCJH Fluval Spec V - update 3-24 (

jhwku 11-30-2012 10:40 PM

RCJH Fluval Spec V - update 3-24
Getting back into the planted tank scene. Picked up this tank during black Friday. Been looking for a tank as clean looking as this to match the style of my house. Now only to make sure that I dont mess up my house keeping up this tank.

Spec V 5.6 gallon tanl
7500K LED day & night lighting system
Overflow filtration system

Thinking about getting some Fluval Shrimp Stratum for my substrate with some HC for my carpet. Maybe add some stone to give it a mountain range look.

Still need ideas for what fish to put in it that will stay small that I can have a decent size school of. Thinking of 5 cardinals or neons but may consider some killifish. Also may eventually add some RCS.

Dry Set up

!shadow! 11-30-2012 11:51 PM

These are nice fish but the prefer schooling so once you add in a few not sure if their requirements would be met in a small tank. Who knows you might be able to pull it off just as long as you do your water changes and doesn't overload the tank's filter. Either way most small fish such as what you choosed will do fine. I was tempted to get one of these myself but decided to put it off for another time. Good luck with the project, i'm sure HC is going to look great.

Boraras brigittae

or blue eyed rainbowfish

jhwku 12-01-2012 02:00 PM

Thanks for the comments. I like the Boraras as a schooling fish. I may need to order them though, so has anyone had any luck on aquabid with smaller fish?

jhwku 12-02-2012 12:44 AM

Planted and scaped today. Starting the dry start method for a couple of weeks to get the HC rooted. Here is an image. For Fauna I am going to use green tetra's my lfs gets them regularly and i can put enough for a good size school

GMYukonon24s 12-02-2012 02:21 AM

Both of them fish are nice.

jhwku 12-05-2012 10:59 PM

Thinking about filling the tank up this weekend, or putting my aquaticlife lights over the tank for more light until i fill the tank. any suggestions how to make sure that HC has successfully rooted?

jhwku 12-08-2012 01:18 AM

Tank has been filled and very few pieces of HC floated so start to dose this week and really see growth.

jhwku 12-15-2012 11:43 PM

Update 12/15/12

added green neon tetras to the tank, good alternative for such a small tank with a similar look to the cardinals

Centromochlus 12-16-2012 12:37 AM

Rock chalk, Jayhawk!

jhwku 12-24-2012 05:43 PM

Another update. added some cherry shrimp and an Oto to help clean up the tank a little. Added some color in the back corner as well.

jhwku 12-29-2012 06:05 PM

Just did a water change thought I would take a picture. One of my cherry's gave birth but havnt been able to find the little guys checked the filter and everything.

jhwku 01-04-2013 02:11 AM

Had to replace an OTO that had White Fungus today. Also started to see baby shrimp all around the tank. The top of my rocks seem to be growing quite a bit of algae even though I have turned my light cycle down. Here are some pictures

Leeroyv 01-09-2013 05:02 PM

liking the look of this alot cant wait to get mine filled and cycled

andrewss 01-09-2013 09:59 PM

lookin good

jhwku 01-10-2013 02:04 AM

Thanks this tank is coming along day by day. cant wait for the carpet to fill in and to have some trimmings to spread around this tank. looks like a lot of people got this tank, looking forward to seeing all the different ways it gets scaped