The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Just had a CF500-UV delivered! Review (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198924)

dastowers 11-30-2012 09:17 PM

Just had a CF500-UV delivered! Review
 
A short review. Easy to set up. There is a paper top that explains that each one is tested before it leaves the factory. Mine was wet but clean. All bags sealed. Setup was easy. Love the 5 tier filtration. Nice change from the circular style.

ONE PROBLEM...cut the hoses as SHORT as possible or you will NEVER get it to prime. No drip loops like old school. Once I did that- boom it primed itself.

I will also add that if you see the diagram it is not the correct (easy) way to install it as it will leave the hoses too long. Put the return in the center of the tank not the far left. Since there is a spray bar it makes no different in flow just makes the hose shorter and easier to prime.

This canister is so quiet you can not hear it. I have been told I have dog ears (by my Dad) so I can hear very well. So happy with this purchase so far and intent to buy another.:):):):)

NWA-Planted 11-30-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dastowers (Post 2094788)
A short review. Easy to set up. There is a paper top that explains that each one is tested before it leaves the factory. Mine was wet but clean. All bags sealed. Setup was easy. Love the 5 tier filtration. Nice change from the circular style.

ONE PROBLEM...cut the hoses as SHORT as possible or you will NEVER get it to prime. No drip loops like old school. Once I did that- boom it primed itself.

I will also add that if you see the diagram it is not the correct (easy) way to install it as it will leave the hoses too long. Put the return in the center of the tank not the far left. Since there is a spray bar it makes no different in flow just makes the hose shorter and easier to prime.

This canister is so quiet you can not hear it. I have been told I have dog ears (by my Dad) so I can hear very well. So happy with this purchase so far and intent to buy another.:):):):)

I had one as well before going to my sump, great filter! I do recommend putting some vasoline on the gasket around the barrel head, i had a rough time one day with it leaking, the gasket was apparently rolling up when i was trying to get it back down

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place

dastowers 11-30-2012 09:47 PM

I have a huge sump on the reef tank was considering a wet/dry for this one but it will be lightly stocked and heavily planted. Had good luck with the canisters on ones like these.

Hmoobthor 11-30-2012 11:54 PM

use one before without the UV...

need to include more media...

i like to pack it as much as possible

happi 11-30-2012 11:56 PM

i have it too, great filter and excellent flow.

HD Blazingwolf 12-01-2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dastowers (Post 2094826)
I have a huge sump on the reef tank was considering a wet/dry for this one but it will be lightly stocked and heavily planted. Had good luck with the canisters on ones like these.

wet/dry's are awesome!!!
got one on my setup..i went through hang on back, power filters, cannister and oncei hit the wet/dry sump level i'll never go back the benefits are immediately noticeable

HunterX 12-01-2012 02:20 AM

I have the 400. I concur on the vasoline on all of the O rings. When the dry out it will start to leak. Besides that I love mine!

gnelahc 12-01-2012 07:42 AM

I also have a 400uv. it works great and super quiet.

Calmia22 12-01-2012 10:08 AM

I just got 3 of the 500's. One on my puffers 40b, and 2 on my 75. I can't even begin to express how much I love these filters! My tanks are so clear, my fish are happier, and I especially love the uv for my puffers tank since he has a constant supply of new fish. Gotta say I am definitely happy with the purchase!

jester56 12-01-2012 01:38 PM

Got the 400UV. LOVE IT! I made the priming problem a bit better by filling up the canister with tank water before starting/priming it.

dastowers 12-01-2012 02:02 PM

Jester-- yes I read that on google AFTER I had it in place lol! I am going to order another today. For a spare.

angelsword 12-02-2012 03:46 AM

So are these the exact same filter as the Ebay Sunsuns? I have a couple of those and they're awesome. I'm going to throw away my Marineland C Series as soon as I can afford to replace them. They're useless. I had planned to get more Sunsuns. What's the benefit of buying the aquatop version given that it's maybe $20 more give or take.

mott 12-02-2012 04:18 AM

They are the same filter.

Evilgrin 12-02-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mott (Post 2096239)
They are the same filter.


+1

in all my research on them they are the exact same filter some cosmetic color difference and a slightly different rating sticker but in all the moving parts as well as all the hose and fittings they are the same filter as far as I can tell.

No matter witch one you get they work and get the job done at the end of the day that's all that matters.

Calmia22 12-02-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsword (Post 2096201)
So are these the exact same filter as the Ebay Sunsuns? I have a couple of those and they're awesome. I'm going to throw away my Marineland C Series as soon as I can afford to replace them. They're useless. I had planned to get more Sunsuns. What's the benefit of buying the aquatop version given that it's maybe $20 more give or take.

The sunsuns are rated mainly for the uk 220v, but work on 120v and have a 2 prong cord. The aquatops have a 3 prong cord and are rated specifically at 120v. I have also heard that the plastic canister itself is flimsy on the sunsun, but I haven't been able to verify that since I have never seen a sunsun in person. Other then that I believe they are exactly the same.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.