The Planted Tank Forum banner

BKK Money Pit *Mystery Deaths*

12K views 115 replies 18 participants last post by  speedie408 
#1 · (Edited)
Multiple tank syndrome strikes again ... Right now I’m planning to house just Taiwan Bees* in the tank. This tank is mostly about aesthetics for me. I just love the way BKK look.

Crap Cell Phone pics of my TB in their breeder box attached to my CBS tank:

TANK
Mr. Aqua 720

SUBSTRATE
ADA Aquasoil Amazonia (New)
BorneoWild Bacter

FILTER
Aquatop Hob w/UV (Seachem Matrix and Purigen)
Large Sponge Filter (seeded from my CBS tank)

LIGHT
Finnex FugeRAY

HARD(ish)SCAPE
Manzanita
Cholla Tubes
IAL

PLANTS
Needle Leaf Java Fern
Xmas Moss
Peacock Moss
Frogbit
Dwarf Water Lettuce
Salvinia minima
Red Root Floaters
Fissidens

Water will be RO reminerialized with Nutrifin Cichlid Conditioner (as per Speedie408, the source of my shrimp)

*If I fail at creating a self sustaining population, I might add some high-grade CBS down the road. But this isn’t ideal IMO.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Thanks, LOL! Back and forth I go on the light ... Aqua Forest has a nice one too in the same price range, but it's out of stock per the website.

I've been obsessing about BKK for a couple years. Now that their price is more in line with other "nice" shrimp, I can justify getting them. They’re actually CHEAPER than the branded lines of CRS/CBS!

#8 ·
If you could I would wait and see if the BW or benibachi soils will be available then (last I heard end of year?) I like ADA aquasoil, its great for plants. But I feel the next step would be specialty shrimp soil.

Also I would go with the 60-P, it is very nice in person and TB's look great in nice displays. :)

#9 ·
If you could I would wait and see if the BW or benibachi soils will be available then (last I heard end of year?) I like ADA aquasoil, its great for plants. But I feel the next step would be specialty shrimp soil.
I can't find any firm dates (or even vague dates) about when either of those might become available here. “Soon” on a website--the best I can find for Benibachi and more than I can find for BW--could mean anything from next week to never. If you've found something specific, point me to it, please!

#12 ·
Apparently I have Christmas Fudge on the brain, LOL! I'm really excited about the BKK. They're just very, very cool.

Here's a shot of the murky tank. I ended up picking up some wood at Albany Aquarium when I was there and made an arching "cave" out of it. Also added some micro chain sword that Speedie408 gave me. Will add more when the cholla shows up and I can finish scaping.

#22 ·
Amazonia leeches ammonia for a few weeks, so early in the new year? All depends on how long it takes to cycle. I added a few more plants and the cholla last night. The crypts are, of course, melting. I don't want to rush anything. Want it to get established before I move them over. Really hoping the mulm will help with that.

#30 ·
Betta Maniac;2106493 said:
Really? Well, crap. I think I'm using the same light I see HedgeFund's frogbit thriving under. I was hoping t was just the shock of shipping and then being put into a new tank.
Then possibly they were grown in lower light and haven't adjusted to the light you have. I would try raising the light for a few weeks and see if it helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.