The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   55 gallon Rescape (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198886)

Brian041 11-30-2012 01:14 PM

55 gallon Rescape
 
So after finding out my silver dollars were the main plant destroyer/eater in my 55 gallon tank, I rehomed them (to a huge tank with lots of other silver dollars). The blood parrot was exonerated of all charges and converting it from plastic to live could proceed. I'm just getting started so there won't be a whole lot of changes right away (short on cash till I start winter break and start pulling 40+ hour shifts). Oh, and excuse the wood boards, I'm in the process of making a canopy for new lights and just overall better look

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8...9073332214.jpg

I'm thinking of having the white rock along the bottom with DHG or maybe Microsword growing between them in the cracks and java moss spilling and hanging over the edges of the wall. Replace the plastic plants with the real versions of them (minus the red sword in the right corner). There are also a number of holes in the wall that I can put floating plants in. For example there's a slat that opens onto the other side of the wall where the filter and heater are. I've had a bunch of anubias wedged in there so it looks like it's growing out of the wall. Since it's not really meant to be buried under the substrate, as long as it gets light, nutrients, and some water movement, it'll work :)

Kathyy 11-30-2012 04:28 PM

Sounds like a nice set up. Anubias and moss on the wall will look great. You could try out java fern and Bolbitus as well. The planted rock wall, a couple of rosette plants and some low growing stuff sounds like a nice scape. If the rocks in the sand matched the wall it would look more cohesive than the white rocks I think.

Brian041 11-30-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathyy (Post 2094502)
Sounds like a nice set up. Anubias and moss on the wall will look great. You could try out java fern and Bolbitus as well. The planted rock wall, a couple of rosette plants and some low growing stuff sounds like a nice scape. If the rocks in the sand matched the wall it would look more cohesive than the white rocks I think.

I didn't think the white rocks would look all that natural, but I thought it would feel somewhat surreal and kinda dream-like or something. I'm not sure if I'll do the rocks though since that would get pricey. I've got some windelov java ferns that haven't really done much since I got them back in June. Not sure where I'd put them though. Aren't they supposed to stay above the substrate as well?

Brian041 12-01-2012 03:06 AM

update Update UPDATE UPDATE!!!

I just added an Anubias Congensis to one of the holes in the wall. Haven't found many LFS in the area that carry java moss, so no luck there yet.

...oh and a picture update of the one new plant lol....
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5...0221244417.jpg

Brian041 12-01-2012 04:19 PM

Decided to move some of my windelov java fern in my 20L to my 55 and plug some of the holes with it. Not sure if I like it yet. Suggestions?


http://imageshack.us/a/img827/2926/1003721e.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img35/7666/1003723s.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img835/7082/1003726i.jpg

driftwoodhunter 12-01-2012 04:29 PM

Nice tank! I think your windelov java fern will love it's new spot. I had one that was withering away and turning black. It died back to a tiny thing, then I moved it to a tank where it attached itself to the sponge on my powerhead. Now it's in a strong current and it's grown 5x it's original size - it's lush and super healthy. Flow has a lot to do with them I believe - just like bolbitis likes flow.

I love your stone background - is it a styrofoam one, or real rock? I made some foam ones for two 29g tanks after researching them on a cichlid site. Your's looks much, much better than most of the ones I found on the cichlid site! It looks like there's a patina of algae/diatoms on it. When that grew on my foam backgrounds they became so much more realistic looking.

I can't wait to see how this progresses, you're off to a great start!

PS - are you going to do a step-by-step on building your canopy? I want to build them for my tanks & could use the experience of others - lol

Brian041 12-01-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter (Post 2095531)
Nice tank! I think your windelov java fern will love it's new spot. I had one that was withering away and turning black. It died back to a tiny thing, then I moved it to a tank where it attached itself to the sponge on my powerhead. Now it's in a strong current and it's grown 5x it's original size - it's lush and super healthy. Flow has a lot to do with them I believe - just like bolbitis likes flow.

I love your stone background - is it a styrofoam one, or real rock? I made some foam ones for two 29g tanks after researching them on a cichlid site. Your's looks much, much better than most of the ones I found on the cichlid site! It looks like there's a patina of algae/diatoms on it. When that grew on my foam backgrounds they became so much more realistic looking.

I can't wait to see how this progresses, you're off to a great start!

PS - are you going to do a step-by-step on building your canopy? I want to build them for my tanks & could use the experience of others - lol

Haha yes it is. I used a lot of youtube video instruction and Glenn from Dramatic Aquascapes. My first one I built for my 20L (which ended up not wanting to stay submerged, live and learn I guess) looked better. Each time I do it, it gets a bit better. It is styrofoam and I agree, once the algae starts setting in on the stone it looks so much more natural.

I can do a step by step on the canopy if you'd like. The frame is about halfway built. But I can still do a video and recap. I try to build as much of my tank stuff as I can to cut costs and make it more personalized for what I need it for. Like I'll probably end up building a DIY canister filter for this tank as well after December probably.

Side Note = the small holes were originally tunnels I cut for small tetra and danios to hide out in. There are a few channels on the bottom of the wall too to allow airline tubing to run under the substrate.

driftwoodhunter 12-01-2012 05:53 PM

I love to see a step-by-step on the canopy build!

Great job on the DIY 3D background :proud:

Brian041 12-01-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter (Post 2095620)
I love to see a step-by-step on the canopy build!

Great job on the DIY 3D background :proud:

Thanks! I might try and get some of the canopy video done tomorrow before work.

Brian041 12-02-2012 12:27 PM

Re-arranged some of the plants the other day. I think I like this layout a bit more.
Also I'm thinking of swapping out the substrate for something better for plants. I like the black sand, but it doesn't really benefit plants at all. If I want to do carpeting plants I'm going to need nutrient-rich soil. I was thinking getting the ADA aqua soil, but I really don't feel like buying a bunch of bags and paying all that shipping. But all Petsmart and Petcos have around here is Flourite, Eco Complete, and Flora Max

http://imageshack.us/a/img209/1158/1003731g.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img836/9890/1003730s.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img707/4739/1003729g.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img9/1962/1003727y.jpg

Brian041 12-03-2012 12:19 AM

Got some more white river rock an laid it out. Moved some spare DHG between the rocks to see if I liked it. Kinda hard to tell since it hasn't filled in. I haven't decided if microsword or DHG would look better. I'll probably grab some more river rock next week. My Java Moss should be arriving sometime this week.

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/9375/1003734q.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/3226/1003733d.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img809/1184/1003732g.jpg

Brian041 12-04-2012 12:41 AM

Got some more DHG today and started planting it between the river rocks. Hopefully it'll start filling in along the edges of the stones.

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/4806/1003747f.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img6/271/1003746n.jpg

As someone watches from the shadows. (finally had to put him in my sick tank while I planted because he kept biting me)
http://imageshack.us/a/img252/9615/1003753.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/1228/1003748w.jpg

Also got a loofa and took it apart to use for my java fern and riccia coming this week.

Crob5965 12-04-2012 01:01 AM

wow I love the background did you make it yourself

I'm moving soon and will be breaking down my 55
I think I'm going to steal your Idea

Brian041 12-04-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crob5965 (Post 2098380)
wow I love the background did you make it yourself

I'm moving soon and will be breaking down my 55
I think I'm going to steal your Idea

Go for it! It's fun and original. Well worth the month you have to wait to let it cure.

Crob5965 12-04-2012 01:24 AM

I was worried about the tank being so narrow but It doesn't look bad at all.
really it takes a month to cure?


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.