The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (
-   -   Heaters and Lighting Question (

StraightAddicted 11-29-2012 11:32 PM

Heaters and Lighting Question
So I have read in several different areas that Heaters are not required in shrimp tank. If water is colder they won't be as active or breed as frequent. I didn't know if someone has more natural setup that works? No heater, window lighting only?

Setting up a 2.5g so wondering if this would be a possibility. If you have a setup or any information regarding this, please comment on my post. Thanks

ravensgate 11-29-2012 11:47 PM

It slows growth rates to a crawl. I have a 3 gallon next to a window with no heater or light and temps run between 66-68 right now. Breeding has stopped and babies don't grow. They are healthy, just slowed growth. Activity is normal but the tank runs cool most of the time so I wouldn't see a dramatic difference. I've had a heater on it in the past and didn't see a giant difference. I have another tank away from the window with no heater and sits between 68-70 and growth is slow on babies as well. Tanks house RCS/CRS and RCS/OEBTS respectively. YOu can do it just fine, depends on what you want to do. If you want them breeding and growing fast a heater in the winter months might be advisable.

sbarbee54 11-29-2012 11:53 PM

My growth and berrying Is fine with my oebt tank down to 64 and my btoe down to 66. Lower temps keep them alive in my tanks and they do great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

StraightAddicted 11-30-2012 12:21 AM

Great information, exactly what I was looking for! I set up a 2.5g with shrimp stratum. I will be housing the RCS in my 20g planted, non co2 tank. Once nice colony develops, would like to move some to 2.5g. This would give me more time scape tank, and plant growth.
Any ideas on some nano tank plants to put in? Really want difference between both tanks.