The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Algae (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What's this annoying stuff? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198758)

minicrazy592 11-29-2012 06:16 AM

What's this annoying stuff?
 
Tried reducing the number of hours my lights are on, increasing flow, water parameters are spot on, etc. I'm at a loss. I can manually remove it, the cherries won't touch it, but the Amanos will a little. Help?


http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/DSC00805.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/DSC00808.jpg

Gooberfish 11-29-2012 06:38 AM

rhizoclorym. I have that same exact stuff. I'm combating it with water changes and and manually removing as much as possible. It's helping a little. Perhaps maybe a blackout? Sorry I'm not much of help just know that you're not alone with this stuff....

somewhatshocked 11-29-2012 02:54 PM

minicrazy: Could you tell us a bit more about the tank?

All equipment used, specifics about lighting, ferts added, etc.

Are you using pressurized CO2? How long has the tank been running?

minicrazy592 11-29-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2093209)
minicrazy: Could you tell us a bit more about the tank?

All equipment used, specifics about lighting, ferts added, etc.

Are you using pressurized CO2? How long has the tank been running?

Specs:

12g Long
Finnex PX-360 canister filter
Aquatek Mini on a 20oz CO2 tank (3 BPS)
BuildMyLED 36" fixture dimmed all the way down and running for 7 hours
No ferts
25% water change 3x week
Water parameters are spot on
1 Month old

AquaPipes 11-29-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gooberfish (Post 2093039)
rhizoclorym. I have that same exact stuff. .

Are you sure? Or maybe my eyes aren't working. Rhizoclorym is green, I'm seeing brown gunk.

My experience with the brown stuff is that Ottos not just eat it, but love it. Also MTS.

Gooberfish 11-30-2012 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaPipes (Post 2093676)
Are you sure? Or maybe my eyes aren't working. Rhizoclorym is green, I'm seeing brown gunk.

My experience with the brown stuff is that Ottos not just eat it, but love it. Also MTS.

ottos like brown diatom algae. This stuff is not that. It's fuzzy-looking, comes off plants and stuff easily.

sessionthree 11-30-2012 02:49 AM

Looks a bit like Rhizoclonium to me, too. I had an outbreak of this when I first set my tank up back in Sep. (The stuff I had was in larger tufts, though.) After trying I all I could to get rid of it, I used Algaefix and got rid of it forever.

minicrazy592 11-30-2012 03:50 AM

Worth meantioning- I have 3 ottos in this tank.

somewhatshocked 11-30-2012 01:23 PM

Part of the problem is that your tank is relatively new.

Your lack of filtration also likely lends itself to some problems. Are you able to get a better canister filter? Part of it looks like it could be a build up of random mulm-type gunk.

What are your specific water parameters?

Why are you changing your water three times per week?

Sounds like you've still got quite a bit of lighting. Do you have access to PAR data for the fixture so you can determine your light level?

Also should note that bubbles per second isn't an effective way to determine CO2 concentrations. Are you using drop checkers in your tank to help estimate the concentration? Why aren't you providing fertilization if you've got tons of lighting and are using CO2?

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicrazy592 (Post 2093659)
Specs:

12g Long
Finnex PX-360 canister filter
Aquatek Mini on a 20oz CO2 tank (3 BPS)
BuildMyLED 36" fixture dimmed all the way down and running for 7 hours
No ferts
25% water change 3x week
Water parameters are spot on
1 Month old


minicrazy592 12-01-2012 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2094291)
Part of the problem is that your tank is relatively new.

Your lack of filtration also likely lends itself to some problems. Are you able to get a better canister filter? Part of it looks like it could be a build up of random mulm-type gunk.

What are your specific water parameters?

Why are you changing your water three times per week?

Sounds like you've still got quite a bit of lighting. Do you have access to PAR data for the fixture so you can determine your light level?

Also should note that bubbles per second isn't an effective way to determine CO2 concentrations. Are you using drop checkers in your tank to help estimate the concentration? Why aren't you providing fertilization if you've got tons of lighting and are using CO2?


I'm changing the water 3x a week because that's how often I'm vacuuming out that stuff. Normally it would be once a week for me.

I'll test a fresh sample tomorrow.

There's plenty of filtration, flow is an issue though. It's a 12g long and the spray bar's current only reaches about 75% of the tank. That being said, what ever that stuff growing is, even where the flow is strongest, it's just as thick.

I know at 100% the light putting out about 140 PAR at the bottom of my tank. Which is stupidly high hence the dimmer and the reduced photoperiod.

My indicator is still on its way from Taiwan and I've been going off of how the plants are responding, ie: pearling and growing like crazy. I tried a week of increased injection with no change. So that aspect is a crapshoot at the moment. And I take back my previous statement, I do dose ferts, but it never crossed my mind they were ferts. I always saw them as "maintenance" items. Those would be flourish trace elements and potassium twice a week.

minicrazy592 12-10-2012 07:49 AM

So tonight I hosted our local planted tank club. I had them take a close look at whats been growing. They think it's a fungus of some kind. I'm going to switch the UV sterilizer from my 20g to this tank on their suggestion and see if it makes a difference.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.