The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Sockets (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198671)

Coltonorr 11-28-2012 05:29 PM

Sockets
 
Hi everyone...haven't been here in a long time...been so busy but I'm trying to get back into the hobby I love, so here goes.

Last year my 100g crashed because of hurricane Irene and then a snowstorm that knocked out power for 7 days.
Somehow I think I got a surge because the loss of power resulted in a loss of my really really cheap made in china light fixtures...so
I purchased 2 Fulham workhorse 7 ballasts and 8x39watt T5HO bulbs to begin building a new fixture to hang over the tank.
I'm looking for waterproof, shunted sockets and I can't seem to find them.
Do they not exist?
I figured this would be an easy project but like everything else in life...it's not...
SO...
Any ideas?
Thanks
Drew

lochaber 11-28-2012 09:49 PM

Sockets for the bulbs?

I'm not familiar with electrical stuff, so I don't know what a shunted socket is.

If you are just trying for a waterproof endcap, you can purchase those online. I've also seen DIY versions involving bicycle innertubes (probably only works for t12, maybe t8).

I've also seen versions where they directly soldered the wires to the bulbs, and then dipped the whole end in Plasti-Dip.

May be able to rig something out of those acrylic tubes used to shield bulbs. Those usually come with a little cap that you may be able to seal onto the fixture or something.

dbosman@msu.edu 11-28-2012 11:30 PM

Shunted sockets are fluorescent sockets with an already install shunt connecting both pin connectors. Old style fluorescent sockets and ballasts use(d) non-shunted sockets.

Here are a couple of sources
http://www.horticulturesource.com/su...-shunted-p410/
http://sunlightsupply.com/p-12157-t5...t-sockets.aspx
http://www.aquabuys.com/p/ss_t5_socket.html
http://www.reefshops.com/waterproof-...eef.html?sl=EN

Coltonorr 11-29-2012 08:48 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lochaber (Post 2092406)
Sockets for the bulbs?

I'm not familiar with electrical stuff, so I don't know what a shunted socket is.

If you are just trying for a waterproof endcap, you can purchase those online. I've also seen DIY versions involving bicycle innertubes (probably only works for t12, maybe t8).

I've also seen versions where they directly soldered the wires to the bulbs, and then dipped the whole end in Plasti-Dip.

May be able to rig something out of those acrylic tubes used to shield bulbs. Those usually come with a little cap that you may be able to seal onto the fixture or something.

Yes I'm look for sockets for the bulbs...I have 2 Fulham workhorse 7 ballasts and 8x39w T5HO bulbs...essentially I'm looking to build my own fixture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbosman@msu.edu (Post 2092548)
Shunted sockets are fluorescent sockets with an already install shunt connecting both pin connectors. Old style fluorescent sockets and ballasts use(d) non-shunted sockets.

Here are a couple of sources
http://www.horticulturesource.com/su...-shunted-p410/
http://sunlightsupply.com/p-12157-t5...t-sockets.aspx
http://www.aquabuys.com/p/ss_t5_socket.html
http://www.reefshops.com/waterproof-...eef.html?sl=EN

Thanks dbosman,
I did see those. The first link is not a waterproof socket, though it is shunted. The other 3 links are waterproof, but I can't tell if they are shunted. I was hoping to find shunted waterproof sockets. The tank is open topped and I didn't want to cover the light. However I may have to cover the light if waterproof shunted sockets do not exist.

Maybe someone else will chime in...

dbosman@msu.edu 11-29-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltonorr (Post 2093530)
Thanks for the replies!
The other 3 links are waterproof, but I can't tell if they are shunted. I was hoping to find shunted waterproof sockets. The tank is open topped and I didn't want to cover the light. However I may have to cover the light if waterproof shunted sockets do not exist.
Maybe someone else will chime in...

Most modern sockets are already shunted. I know one of the water proof ones I linked to has two pair of push in connectors, so you can jumper them easily.

Coltonorr 11-30-2012 03:58 PM

Thank you dboseman.
I appreciate the input.
I'll look into them.

Seattle_Aquarist 11-30-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltonorr (Post 2092049)
Hi everyone...haven't been here in a long time...been so busy but I'm trying to get back into the hobby I love, so here goes.

Last year my 100g crashed because of hurricane Irene and then a snowstorm that knocked out power for 7 days.
Somehow I think I got a surge because the loss of power resulted in a loss of my really really cheap made in china light fixtures...so
I purchased 2 Fulham workhorse 7 ballasts and 8x39watt T5HO bulbs to begin building a new fixture to hang over the tank.
I'm looking for waterproof, shunted sockets and I can't seem to find them.
Do they not exist?
I figured this would be an easy project but like everything else in life...it's not...
SO...
Any ideas?
Thanks
Drew

Hi Drew,

Something like these?
http://www.ahsupply.com/P0000005.jpg

Don't know if they are shunted or not. AH Supply, call and talk to Kim and he can answer your questions.

Coltonorr 11-30-2012 04:26 PM

Thanks Seattle,
Yes thats what I'm looking for, but they do need to be shunted.
I spoke with Kim and he mentioned that his wouldn't work because
they are for a programmed ballast.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.