The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/)
-   -   What is this snail? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/198571-what-snail.html)

charms 11-27-2012 05:44 PM

What is this snail?
 
2 Attachment(s)
So I randomly found this snail in my tank today, I've never seen it before!!


Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Barbgirl 11-27-2012 05:47 PM

Pond snail :)
Prepare to see more!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

yyankeeyankeefan 11-27-2012 05:53 PM

it's the beginning of the end! lol. they are the king of pest snails.... hard to get rid of. i crush them and feed them to my fish....but it's never enough.

dougolasjr 11-27-2012 05:56 PM

either pond or bladder snail.

Peccator 11-27-2012 07:27 PM

If the spiral is to the left (when looking at it from the back/ point of the shell) its a bladder snail

ValMM 11-27-2012 10:48 PM

If the eye-stalks are short and triangular=pond snail. If the eye-stalks are long, thin and hair like, bladder snail.

The way the spiral goes is a genetic lineage thing, not a good identifier.

charms 11-27-2012 10:52 PM

And what is a bladder snail?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

MABJ 11-27-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charms (Post 2091353)
And what is a bladder snail?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

A harmless little snail that produces easily surviving eggs in freshwater environments.

You shouldn't be worried about it, but if you don't like if, you can remove or kill it by crushing.


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

Newman 11-27-2012 11:14 PM

surprisingly, crushing doesn't always kill it. they are so resilient that they will survive w/o an intact shell and will breed even after you unsuccessfully crushed one. I've seen this multiple times in my tank, and even after manual removal, they still persist. once they get going, they can't be stopped lol. they will hide out in your filter, in your substrate, outside of the tank under your tank lid. the best thing you can do if you don't want to deal with pest snails is to remove them immediately upon seeing one in your tank. prevention is the best way to have a snail-less planted tank. it is possible.

it is the Physa genus of snails if anyone is curious.

MABJ 11-27-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newman (Post 2091377)
it is the Physa genus of snails if anyone is curious.

That's a nice tidbit of info :) thanks.

I had no clue they could survive without a shell, but luckily shrimp usually get to them when they're shell-less.

I've always been a proponent of let them live in peace lol. They are not harmful to plants, and if you feed right, they'll not over reproduce!


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

concepts88 11-28-2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newman (Post 2091377)
surprisingly, crushing doesn't always kill it. they are so resilient that they will survive w/o an intact shell and will breed even after you unsuccessfully crushed one. I've seen this multiple times in my tank, and even after manual removal, they still persist. once they get going, they can't be stopped lol. they will hide out in your filter, in your substrate, outside of the tank under your tank lid. the best thing you can do if you don't want to deal with pest snails is to remove them immediately upon seeing one in your tank. prevention is the best way to have a snail-less planted tank. it is possible.

it is the Physa genus of snails if anyone is curious.

I trained my fish to attack falling crush snails. And they rip pieces from th falling bodies.

yyankeeyankeefan 11-28-2012 05:43 AM

lol my cories find any survivors of the crushed snail. though in my betta tank i have found one or two that have lived threw the shell breaking. my ghost shrimp got them eventually but it took them some time.

Indian fern 11-28-2012 05:47 AM

Gosh! I have 3 of them in my tank. they came from the plants I recently bought. :O

Newman 11-28-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian fern (Post 2091735)
Gosh! I have 3 of them in my tank. they came from the plants I recently bought. :O

if you don't want them, i suggest you remove them immediately before they get established.

Elppan 11-28-2012 04:10 PM

They are pretty harmless, but they do poop a lot. My little pea puffer loves to eat them, I never have to worry about a lack of calcium in that tank, she'll slurp out snails and then the shells dissolve lol


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.