The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians) (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Empty tank ideas (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198169)

Kitsune_Gem 11-23-2012 08:25 PM

Empty tank ideas
 
I have this little tank just sitting around begging to be filled with something. Now I may or may not put a little live critter in there, I could just turn in to a living vivi with no critters. I could even make the bottom half a little shrimp area and the top plants.


Ideas are more than welcome, if this is in the wrong place the mods are more than welcome to move this thread.


http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...c02bfce726.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...1f9b1ad3d7.jpg

Fishies_in_Philly 11-24-2012 12:58 AM

i would build a tarantula viv out of it. and i hate spiders, but i would still build it a home and love it....LOL

Fishies_in_Philly 11-24-2012 12:58 AM

if you really get stuck and don't know what to do with it, my mailing address is........lol

msawdey 11-24-2012 03:52 AM

i hope you know that this thread is going to blow up at any time with ideas

Kitsune_Gem 11-24-2012 08:30 AM

Alright, its been decided its going on my moms new desk at work.

Havent decided what we are doing critter wise yet. I will be inserting and using aquarium sealant to place in a divider in the bottom to make room for some dirt, and separate it out from a bit of water.

(She hates spiders so as much as I would love to do that.)

Kitsune_Gem 11-25-2012 12:45 AM

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2..._Gem/balba.jpg

Browns going to be the dirt
Black will be the plastic that's sealed down to keep dirt from water
and the blue will be the water.

Shes now wanting shrimp instead of a herp. or amphibian. She originally wanted to do dart frogs in it, but after explaining how to feed them, she decided to do shrimp instead.

So it seems Ill need this moved to shrimp instead of herps and amphibians.

Not sure how this will work out, but I will take photos as I move along.

Learner 11-25-2012 01:18 AM

May I suggest using a glass divider instead of a plastic one. Silicone sticks much better to glass than most plastics.

Good Luck with the build!

@marko@ 11-25-2012 03:43 AM

if you dont do a paludarium, get day geckos. i LOVED mine (had a kick-ass pair of p. laticuada, got pics if youre interested). p. klemmeri are small, and you could keep a pair of them in there. get an incubator for the eggs and your in business. or just get an individual as a cute little animal if you dont want to breed.
and you dont have to feed live food. repashy has a MRP that works great.

Kitsune_Gem 11-25-2012 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @marko@ (Post 2088603)
if you dont do a paludarium, get day geckos. i LOVED mine (had a kick-ass pair of p. laticuada, got pics if youre interested). p. klemmeri are small, and you could keep a pair of them in there. get an incubator for the eggs and your in business. or just get an individual as a cute little animal if you dont want to breed.
and you dont have to feed live food. repashy has a MRP that works great.


A 12x12 would be to small for most day geckos imo, p. laticuada gets about 9 inches.

I've done the whole breed reptiles before, not something I want to do again currently, maybe down the line. Ive currently got my hands full with my breeding pair of chinchillas and rats.

Most cute lizards she likes, (That I can easily get my hands on with out spending an arm and a leg) would out grow the cage.

We would be putting her chameleon on her desk if the cage was not so big haha.

Kitsune_Gem 11-25-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Learner (Post 2088475)
May I suggest using a glass divider instead of a plastic one. Silicone sticks much better to glass than most plastics.

Good Luck with the build!


Its going to be plastic, no clue where I would get my hands on glass. That and I am way to paranoid about the glass breaking.

@marko@ 11-25-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsune_Gem (Post 2088650)
A 12x12 would be to small for most day geckos imo, p. laticuada gets about 9 inches.

I've done the whole breed reptiles before, not something I want to do again currently, maybe down the line. Ive currently got my hands full with my breeding pair of chinchillas and rats.

Most cute lizards she likes, (That I can easily get my hands on with out spending an arm and a leg) would out grow the cage.

We would be putting her chameleon on her desk if the cage was not so big haha.

p. laticauda is too big, but p. klemeri should be ok.
btw, are you talking about total length when you say 9"? im used to just see snout-vent length, so i was a bit surprised to hear 9 til i relaized you might mean from nose to tail tip.

Kitsune_Gem 11-25-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @marko@ (Post 2088773)
p. laticauda is too big, but p. klemeri should be ok.
btw, are you talking about total length when you say 9"? im used to just see snout-vent length, so i was a bit surprised to hear 9 til i relaized you might mean from nose to tail tip.



Yes I mean tip to tail haha, sorry about that. I am unsure where I would even find p. Klemeri, I have only seen them online before, never in stores.

@marko@ 11-25-2012 05:19 PM

i got my p. laticuada pair online, and sold their offspring online.
shipped usps express and had no issues.
http://www.geckoranch.com/ breeds p. klemmeri i believe. and then you have faunaclassifieds and such also where you can probably find one cheaper.

but if the tanks gonna house shrimp, it wont house a phelsuma, so its a moot point.
just thought id throw in the idea since i fell in love with this genus and cant wait until i get keep them again (no room at the moment).

Kitsune_Gem 11-28-2012 07:03 AM

It just occurred to me I could do a newt.. A small one, it would be prefect...

Anyone know anything about them? I am personally only familiar with the fire-belly newts.

Kitsune_Gem 11-28-2012 07:32 AM

I am looking at the Eastern Newt, or Marbled Salamander, assuming the tank is large enough for them.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.