The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/)
-   -   Pumpkin neos and Seiyu stones? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/198029-pumpkin-neos-seiyu-stones.html)

jakevwapp84 11-22-2012 01:07 AM

Pumpkin neos and Seiyu stones?

Will pumpkin neos be able to live in a tank with Seiyu stones or will the stone affect the water to much?

somewhatshocked 11-22-2012 01:09 AM

They'll be fine.

Neos can handle a variety of hardness and acidity.

jakevwapp84 11-22-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2086085)
They'll be fine.

Neos can handle a variety of hardness and acidity.

alright thanks will the stome affect the breeding rate of the shrimp or will they be perfectly fine

somewhatshocked 11-22-2012 01:16 AM

There's no way to know how it will impact your water parameters until you test it. Depends upon the params of the source water, how much stone you're adding, among other factors.

The short answer? Likely not going to bother things at all. It'll make your water just a bit harder over time and that won't be bad for Neos, typically.

jakevwapp84 11-22-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2086093)
There's no way to know how it will impact your water parameters until you test it. Depends upon the params of the source water, how much stone you're adding, among other factors.

The short answer? Likely not going to bother things at all. It'll make your water just a bit harder over time and that won't be bad for Neos, typically.

ok thanks:)

plamski 11-22-2012 02:30 AM

You will need TDS meter. I use to have 5gal tank with 3 Seiyu stones 4"x3"x4.5" in size.
TDS went to 425 in 15 days. My PFR slowly disappear. No breeding at all. Substrate was 1.5 years old ADA Amazonia.PH was 7.2

Bananariot 11-22-2012 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plamski (Post 2086162)
You will need TDS meter. I use to have 5gal tank with 3 Seiyu stones 4"x3"x4.5" in size.
TDS went to 425 in 15 days. My PFR slowly disappear. No breeding at all. Substrate was 1.5 years old ADA Amazonia.PH was 7.2

PFr's and orange neos are completely different in hardiness and living params. With orange neos, harder water is better than soft IME and TDS on the high side shouldn't bother them at all.

randyl 11-22-2012 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananariot (Post 2086277)
PFr's and orange neos are completely different in hardiness and living params. With orange neos, harder water is better than soft IME and TDS on the high side shouldn't bother them at all.

My observation as well, my orange neos in ph 6.8/tds 150/kh 0/gh 5 just don't breed as well. So are my PFRs but it more obvious in orange.

somewhatshocked 11-22-2012 03:04 PM

I keep PFRs, Yellow, Orange all in various params with no issues. Everything from pH just below 6 to 7.5, GH from 5 to 12, TDS from 150 to 400+ in EI tanks.

Always surprises me when people report that they've had trouble with them or can only keep them within a fixed set of parameters.

shloken38 11-23-2012 05:06 AM

Yep. I believe everything depends on where you get your stock and how consistent your tank environment is more than anything else. Most everything you read is more of a guideline than an absolute fact. I've kept plenty of fish/shrimp in parameters that did not meet the criteria given as "suitable water parameters". I never test for gh, kh, tds, and I have never had any problems. But I am also consistent with my water changes and other maintenance.