The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (
-   -   Berried RCS - Can I move it? (

PortalMasteryRy 11-21-2012 10:27 PM

Berried RCS - Can I move it?
I finally have a berried RCS. I just saw her yesterday and she had a clutch of maybe 30+ eggs. I have a breeder box ready with just 1 juvenile SAE and some tadpole snails. The Breeder box is heavily planted and I was wondering if it is ok to move her. I plan to move the SAE to the main tank.

My main tank is 10 gallon heavily planted tank. Hiding places does not seem to be an issue but I do have a female betta in there which I know will get into every spot she can fit in to find food.

If moving here is an option for me then what is the best way of doing it?

iris 11-21-2012 11:33 PM

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. Sometimes my shrimp get so spooked that I'd be afraid to risk the chance of a mom dropping her eggs out of stress. Is it a just a quick net and dump (well, place gently as possible) process?

Hmoobthor 11-21-2012 11:43 PM

just be gently with her...or else she will drop eggs!

Jayme 11-22-2012 12:42 AM

I would try and scoop her up into a small cup or something and move her that way so she doesn't ever leave water.

I know how much my shrimp hate the net and being out of the water. Flipping around wildly and trying to jump out. :confused1:

PortalMasteryRy 11-22-2012 03:03 AM

I've decided to transfer her but should I wait until the eggs get further along in the gestation period? How long is the gestation period anyways? I think she is 2-3 weeks in.

randyl 11-22-2012 03:31 AM

Scoop the beta out.

If you really really have to move the berried shrimp, wait for a week or two after it got berried, especially if this is her first clutch. Berried shrimps tend to hide more than usual, in a heavily planted tank, it won't be easy and stress level will be too high.

NYREPS 11-22-2012 04:33 AM

Just leave her alone ain't nothing gonna happen ,she will only drop her eggs if the water ain't right