The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Planted Nano Tanks (
-   -   Help on Hardscape Placement (

RobMc 11-21-2012 03:11 AM

Help on Hardscape Placement
Trying to decide on a hardscape setup - I'd love to have the taller piece emerged with some plumbing. What do you think?

RobMc 11-21-2012 03:15 AM

Gah, I posted this in the wrong forum... meant to go general - I have no idea how to delete it.

Kathyy 11-21-2012 03:23 AM

I would like the wood emergent even more if the tank hadn't that black rim and if it was less upright. If you could plumb the wood and have water trickling through emergent growth like Adin's tank III then this would be a showstopper black rim or not. The way the lower pieces mirror the angle of the big piece on photo #1 is nice though.

Just the smaller bits look great submerged. I would save the big piece for a larger tank if I decided to use it completely submerged.

Great hard scape material!

RobMc 11-21-2012 03:37 AM

I know what you mean Kathy - tried taking off the rim and didn't feel safe with it bare. As soon as I can cut some glass triangles I'll remove it and brace the top that way.

I'll cut a wedge into the right side of the large piece to give it more lean, I think that's good advice.

bluestems 11-21-2012 04:14 AM

I agree with Kathy that if you keep it upright, the rim is distracting. The two sharp pieces are interesting and give a real edge to the aquascape that could really make an interesting tank with the right plantings.

However, I'm looking at that large piece and wondering what it might look like if you lay it on it's side, like it is in #3, and rotate it slightly towards the back with the soil sloping greatly towards the back enough that the back short piece (that ends near the middle of the piece) actually ends going into the soil. I think the stump itself would work like a ledge to keep the higher soil in the back, with a shorter level of soil in front of it.

Then, loose the two, shorter sharp pieces and bring the other arching piece so it looks like it's coming out of the shortest part coming out of the stump.