The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/)
-   -   If you keep shrimp, read this!!!!! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/197803-if-you-keep-shrimp-read.html)

Seattle_Aquarist 11-19-2012 05:01 PM

If you keep shrimp, read this!!!!!

Courtesy of the AGA Forum:

IF YOU KEEP SHRIMP, READ THIS!!!!!

Someone on APC recently lost a tank full of expensive shrimp. I guess it has happened several times in the UK too. PLEASE READ and take heed!!!

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...l_order_plants

Aquatic Delight 11-19-2012 05:22 PM

another story that could have been elimated with QT, or even rinsing the plants. i'm kinda shocked that people keeping expensive shrimp would not take saftey measures to protect their shrimp.

but eitherway its a great read for anyone in this hobby.

somewhatshocked 11-19-2012 05:29 PM

That PFK story has been popping up for most of the year. Seems to primarily be an issue for plants that are imported or when living in Europe and shipping across borders.

Though, I agree with Aquatic Delight. QT, dips and proper rinsing are key if you have livestock you care about.

Seattle_Aquarist 11-19-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2083665)
That PFK story has been popping up for most of the year. Seems to primarily be an issue for plants that are imported or when living in Europe and shipping across borders.

Though, I agree with Aquatic Delight. QT, dips and proper rinsing are key if you have livestock you care about.

Hi somewhatshocked,

I agree that proper QT or even possibly adequate rinsing might alleviate the potential problem. Purchasing plants from LFS that get their plants from Florida farms shouldn't be a problem or from forum members that actually grow the plants they are selling.

However, here on the West Coast a lot of plants come in from Asia. Also some forum members that resell plants import from Asia as well; being aware of the potential issue can possibly save a member a lot of hassle.

deleted_user_17 11-19-2012 05:45 PM

I read about this on ukaps a while ago. I think it may have been a factor in me losing my first batch of shrimps. Being in the UK, I'm really careful where I get my plants from now.

Hmoobthor 11-19-2012 05:58 PM

I think this news is old....

I buy some moss from oversea and rinse it and they have been in my tank and growing very well ..no problem or loss

somewhatshocked 11-19-2012 08:09 PM

Old news but good information to have.

Those importing Buces and such should do the hobby a favor and clean their plants well, quarantining them prior to offering them for sale.

Thanks for sharing it again, Seattle_Aquarist.

Lkittredge 11-19-2012 08:31 PM

Probably old news but appreciate the recirculating of old news for new people to the hobby like myself.

msjinkzd 11-19-2012 08:32 PM

rinsing doesnt work, i know first hand :( I left imported plants in a bucket for a couple of days and then rinsed repeatedly. The chemicals still killed off over 600 shrimp with proper rinsing.

dougolasjr 11-19-2012 08:42 PM

wow that sucks.

ThatGuyWithTheFish 11-19-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2083805)
Old news but good information to have.

Those importing Buces and such should do the hobby a favor and clean their plants well, quarantining them prior to offering them for sale.

Thanks for sharing it again, Seattle_Aquarist.

Buces shouldn't be a problem because they aren't really farmed--they grow too slowly and their legality is questionable.

msjinkzd 11-19-2012 08:59 PM

It is more a matter of them coming in from overseas. From what I understand they have to pass nematode and plant pest quaratine standards, often which require treatment of chemicals or for them to be tissue cultured/sterile.

Rob in Puyallup 11-20-2012 04:35 AM

Seems to me that if plants have been treated with insecticides (or other nasty chemicals) that at least some of those same chemicals will be released into their environment when a leaf (or other plant part) decomposes in the water it lived in.

(Please disregard this post if same is assumed in the article. I wasn't able to open the link via my cell.)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

somewhatshocked 11-20-2012 12:38 PM

Proper cleaning and quarantining for a month or two would probably (emphasis on probably) be sufficient in most cases.

If there was doubt, one could test the waters with a single critter before risking an entire colony. As cruel as that is, it's better than losing a whole tank of livestock.

acitydweller 11-20-2012 02:34 PM

old news but good for newbies and a refresher...