The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Michigan (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Moving Tips (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197782)

Duckmasta 11-19-2012 06:54 AM

Moving Tips

Ok, so as some may know and many may not. I am about to close on a house and have to move my tanks the 15 miles between here and there. Does anyone have any tips to help ease the stress of the move? For the fish or myself. I have one extra tank that i will take first and drop a currently in use filter on, to cycle the water as long as i can before i have to start moving the rest of the tanks. The small tanks (4g and 5.5) i am just goin to suran wrap over the top and move with water in them. My 30g planted tank ill drain low as i can but leave scaped, with fish transported via 5g bucket. The 100g will get torn completely down, drained, and rescaped once at the house (going on a new stand also). The main stress on the fish will be going from municiapl water to well, without much time to cycle the water into tanks as i will only have a week to complete moving the entirety of my apartment to the house before i have to turn in the keys here.

Edub 11-19-2012 03:44 PM

Do what you said and let the new water cycle as long as you can before adding fish. Save as much of the old tank water as possible and reuse it in your new tanks. This will jump start the cycle as well as make an easier transition between water params.

How different are the 2 water sources?

Aquatic Delight 11-19-2012 05:38 PM

how are you planning on actually moving the tanks? i remember reading someones moving thread one time where they guy was worried about the stress on the glass.

GMYukonon24s 11-19-2012 09:44 PM

This doesn't sound like fun at all. Good luck with the move.

Duckmasta 11-20-2012 03:51 AM

tanks will be moved in my jeep, can fold the back seats down and its really flat space so im not to worried about stressing the glass to much, even with a little water and scape still in the 30 gallon. As for the diff in water parameters, im not sure at this point, soon as i get the keys im gonna get a sample have have full battery of tests done at the LFS, since all i have is an API master test kit. I want to know every aspect of the water im getting from tap.

GMYukonon24s 11-20-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckmasta (Post 2084249)
tanks will be moved in my jeep, can fold the back seats down and its really flat space so im not to worried about stressing the glass to much, even with a little water and scape still in the 30 gallon. As for the diff in water parameters, im not sure at this point, soon as i get the keys im gonna get a sample have have full battery of tests done at the LFS, since all i have is an API master test kit. I want to know every aspect of the water im getting from tap.

Great idea of having the tests done