The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   Aquascaping (
-   -   substrate divider? (

scotty82 11-18-2012 06:48 PM

substrate divider?
I was watching some youtube videos of the green machine scapeing some tanks. I saw that they used thin black "things" as a substrate divider. Does anyone know what these are and where I could buy some? Or what does everyone use as substrate dividers?

somewhatshocked 11-18-2012 08:12 PM

You can get thin plastic sheets in hobby shops and craft stores. Easy to cut with a hobby knife or a scissor.

I've used everything from cut up pieces of milk jug to random lengths of glass and leftover acrylic.

Most everything is easy to conceal with a bit of substrate.

Imi Statue 11-18-2012 09:37 PM

If your looking for more than a few small pieces, you can always buy some window covering like this at local hardware stores.

It's cheaper than what you might think and makes curved areas or straight.

I've used it as dividers for years, from home depot or wherever.

scotty82 11-18-2012 09:55 PM

Imi, that looks like it would work, but how tall is it? Or can you just cut it to heigh and lengh? I might make a Home Depot trip tomorrow to check it out

Imi Statue 11-18-2012 10:07 PM

It comes in various sizes from about 2'x2' up to 4'x4'. I bought the 32"x44" size mostly or just what ever was on sale. you don't need thickness over .080" in most cases that's just adding expense for thickness you don't have to have.

You'll need a good sharp box knife and something to use as a straight edge (if you need it straight).

I usually plan out my sizes before buying then go to town to get everything at once.:)

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.