The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Planted Nano Tanks (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Help, found a dead CRS in my tank (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197499)

tobystanton 11-16-2012 08:48 AM

Help, found a dead CRS in my tank

Yesterday afternoon I did a 25% water change to my 10 gallon tank, the drop checker was originally blue and shifted to a yellow-green color. I then turned off the CO2 tank. This evening I noticed it had turned back to green, but I found one of my crystal red shrimp dead. Please help me to identify the problem, I'm thinking its because of the major water change.. Also what would be the best way to get my tank more oxygenated thanks!

Jonnywhoop 11-16-2012 08:58 AM

i had this problem as well. I woke up one morning to find my first and only CRS death, I noticed that the co2 rain out during the night. I believe the pH fluctuation caused it. get that co2 back online and keep it stable without changing it.

HypnoticAquatic 11-16-2012 09:35 AM

well being ur at sea level u should have plenty of o2 in your tank with good water movement but if u feel that u still need some get a bubbler with a fine stone*best ive found are at hydroponic shops* that create almost as fine bubbles as the atomizers but work on reg air pumps there just a fine ceramic i think i paid $10 for a 6inch tube shape.

the water change isnt really a big water change % wise but we dont know what ur levels were different between the two *that is where u can stress them*, u can do 50% or more daily if the water is all the same its always the difference in the water that causes issues, this is why its good to have ph,tds,ec,temp and all other test kits to get a guide of where ur water is at so u can have a good understanding of how fast your tank changes an when it needs changed to maintain safe levels for them.

also one dead shrimp doesnt always send a red flag up that there is something wrong, it might be good to test everything but shrimp get old and die so test if everything comes out ok dont stress, just keep an eye out.

most done use co2 on shrimp tanks, i have and it was very low like 1bubble every 4-5 sec max on a 20L, but i wouldnt go much more as that kept the plants happy and shrimp still breeding i didnt want to test the max they could handle theres no need for that loss to me.

acitydweller 11-16-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobystanton (Post 2080495)
Yesterday afternoon I did a 25% water change to my 10 gallon tank, the drop checker was originally blue and shifted to a yellow-green color. I then turned off the CO2 tank. This evening I noticed it had turned back to green, but I found one of my crystal red shrimp dead. Please help me to identify the problem, I'm thinking its because of the major water change.. Also what would be the best way to get my tank more oxygenated thanks!

Shift in tds or suffocation from co2 running at night would be reasonable suspicions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonnywhoop (Post 2080498)
i had this problem as well. I woke up one morning to find my first and only CRS death, I noticed that the co2 rain out during the night. I believe the pH fluctuation caused it. get that co2 back online and keep it stable without changing it.

This situation reads like an end of tank dump. You suggested resolution warrants further clarification. Keep what stable without changing what?