The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Less than $50 for AutoDosing? Oh YEA! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197419)

Optix 11-15-2012 05:21 PM

Less than $50 for AutoDosing? Oh YEA!

I see some DIY peristaltic pump threads and think
DEER GEEZUS! you all spend alotta money:icon_eek:

go the cheap route..I did

Pump Head w/ motor ($20)
Ebay: 281010726171

12v 1a power supply ($5)
Ebay: 261110138053

Enclosure ($6)
Radioshack: 2062281

Digital Timer ($10)
Walmart: 16816087

Total: $41

some tubing, some solder and some basic tools (a drill and screwdriver essentially) and VOILA! cheap autodosing

I actually went a little further and connected a speed control to fine tune the pump flow BUT I realize that at full speed, I get about 20mL (and could easily adjust my concentrations to dose everyday for about 2.5 months before refilling)

NatCh 11-15-2012 07:34 PM

Sounds interesting ... got any pictures?

Optix 11-15-2012 08:01 PM

YYYYYUP

http://i49.tinypic.com/skyuk7.jpg

had to disconnect it...so the front is a little wet

Darkblade48 11-15-2012 09:01 PM

Looks good; I was thinking of purchasing the same pump motors and building it myself.

I am curious as to what you used for your speed control (linear potentiometer)?

Optix 11-15-2012 09:10 PM

standard potentiometer w/ capacitor setup
...in the end, pretty useless so save the $$$$$

Darkblade48 11-15-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optix (Post 2079844)
standard potentiometer w/ capacitor setup
...in the end, pretty useless so save the $$$$$

Why is it useless?

Though I can probably scrounge up a few...there's treasure in the trash pile that is known as my basement :)

biogenetic40379 11-16-2012 04:10 AM

any more details about this? I saw solder in the post and am interested, just never played with electronics before

Optix 11-16-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkblade48 (Post 2079975)
Why is it useless?

Though I can probably scrounge up a few...there's treasure in the trash pile that is known as my basement :)

because with the timer I get 20mLs injected (or multiples of 20 thereof)

w/ the timer and the speed control, theoretically I get 1-20mLs (and any multiple)

...but with some simple math and some simple dilutions...theres really no need...I guess if you were really really into nano tanks it would be useful (1mL of ferts daily)...and a huge tank (something weird like 91 mLs of ferts daily)

Quote:

Originally Posted by biogenetic40379 (Post 2080356)
any more details about this? I saw solder in the post and am interested, just never played with electronics before

its really simple so no extra detail is really needed

the pump has two leads on the bottom...2 wires from there to the power supply wires (soldered to the leads) and you have a pump that works

Wicket_lfe 11-28-2012 09:05 PM

I am totally sold on this. awesome job!

DaTrueDave 11-29-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optix (Post 2080438)
its really simple so no extra detail is really needed

the pump has two leads on the bottom...2 wires from there to the power supply wires (soldered to the leads) and you have a pump that works

Well, your single photo gives almost zero indication of what you've got there (to someone who doesn't know what those parts are), or how you built it, so obviously more detail is needed if you want to help people do the same thing.

If you don't want to help anyone else, then you're right, no extra detail is really needed.

What may be obvious to you has me perplexed and I would appreciate some more details on how you did this.

Thanks!

Darkblade48 11-29-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaTrueDave (Post 2093317)
Well, your single photo gives almost zero indication of what you've got there (to someone who doesn't know what those parts are), or how you built it, so obviously more detail is needed if you want to help people do the same thing.

If you don't want to help anyone else, then you're right, no extra detail is really needed.

What may be obvious to you has me perplexed and I would appreciate some more details on how you did this.

Thanks!

I think all the details have already been explained myself; is there something in particular that you don't understand?

The peristaltic pump has two leads that you connect to the AC to DC adapter (solder the wires together). After that, you just hook up some tubing and feed one end into (say) a fertilizer solution and the other into your aquarium. When the pump is plugged in, it will pump up to 20 mL per minute. Thus, if you put it on a timer for 1 minute, it will pump 20 mL.

Optix just went one step further and put the whole thing into a nice enclosure for presentation. The potentiometer was also put in to control speed, but that's just optional.

DaTrueDave 11-30-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkblade48 (Post 2093483)
I think all the details have already been explained myself; is there something in particular that you don't understand?

Ah, is there another thread where this is discussed? I see only one pic here and just can't grasp what is going on at all.

m00se 11-30-2012 01:10 AM

Peristaltic pump:

http://i.imgur.com/NPbvl.gif

AaronT 11-30-2012 01:15 AM

BRS had their brand of doser on sale for $50 on black Friday. You might look around Christmas time to see if they have another sale.

Darkblade48 11-30-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaTrueDave (Post 2093804)
Ah, is there another thread where this is discussed? I see only one pic here and just can't grasp what is going on at all.

There wasn't another thread, but the information that was contained in this thread I thought was summed up nicely.

Is there something you don't understand? The wiring is (literally) as simple as hooking up the separate wires together (and soldering them to make sure they're connected).

You can put them into a nice enclosure as Optix did, but that's not necessary.

That's pretty much it...