The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cheap pressurized CO2 (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197383)

Psittac 11-15-2012 04:22 AM

Cheap pressurized CO2
 
I got rid of all my tanks except my nanos and I want to put some money into my fluval flora to make it an excellent tank.

I've been using the cartridges but they're a total PITA. I put a diffuser on it and after not using it in months I bombed my tank by starting it up and getting distracted before setting it to an acceptable level.

I have a bubble counter and diffuser in one already. Also have a drop checker.

Whats the cheapest I can get away with while doing the job properly?

I've heard the paintball canisters aren't able to be regulated, is this true? I don't want the same problem as the cartridges.

dudebro 11-15-2012 04:29 AM

I just set myself up with an up aqua regulator with solenoid from ebay and 2.5lb co2 from amazon. Just over 100 total with tax and shipping.

Evilgrin 11-15-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psittac (Post 2079168)
I got rid of all my tanks except my nanos and I want to put some money into my fluval flora to make it an excellent tank.

I've been using the cartridges but they're a total PITA. I put a diffuser on it and after not using it in months I bombed my tank by starting it up and getting distracted before setting it to an acceptable level.

I have a bubble counter and diffuser in one already. Also have a drop checker.

Whats the cheapest I can get away with while doing the job properly?

I've heard the paintball canisters aren't able to be regulated, is this true? I don't want the same problem as the cartridges.


paintball tanks can be regulated. I used to play paintball there are plenty of paintball regulators out there most bring the pressure down to around 800psi you would need another regulator to bring the pressure down further. Although I'm sure if you searched online someone somewhere has put together a paintball regulator system for aquarium use.

Bettatail 11-15-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilgrin (Post 2079222)
paintball tanks can be regulated. I used to play paintball there are plenty of paintball regulators out there most bring the pressure down to around 800psi you would need another regulator to bring the pressure down further. Although I'm sure if you searched online someone somewhere has put together a paintball regulator system for aquarium use.

detail on how to build coming soon.
the fittings parts are expensive, have to get the higher standard parts to avoid trouble. a system cost about $80.

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/IMG_5900.jpg
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/IMG_5923.jpg
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...2/IMG_5993.jpg

h4n 11-15-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bettatail (Post 2079323)
detail on how to build coming soon.
the fittings parts are expensive, have to get the higher standard parts to avoid trouble. a system cost about $80.

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/IMG_5900.jpg
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...m/IMG_5923.jpg
http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/z...2/IMG_5993.jpg

That looks cool!
Can't wait to see the details on that!


-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"

wastewater 11-16-2012 12:18 AM

^ +1... seems to be masterfully engineered!

Psittac 11-16-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudebro (Post 2079177)
I just set myself up with an up aqua regulator with solenoid from ebay and 2.5lb co2 from amazon. Just over 100 total with tax and shipping.

That doesn't sound to bad

[Ebay Link Removed] (Up aqua CO2 regulator A-164 working pressure adjustable)
http://www.amazon.com/5-LB-CO2-Cylin...s=2.5+co2+tank

is that everything I would need?
I have diffuser bubble counter and drop checker

Psittac 11-16-2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bettatail (Post 2079323)
detail on how to build coming soon.
the fittings parts are expensive, have to get the higher standard parts to avoid trouble. a system cost about $80.

Let me know as soon as you get something together, i'm gonna weigh my options, but a 5lb tank would almost never have to be refilled but would be $75 more.

Other then price are there other pro's and cons?

Psittac 11-16-2012 02:35 AM

Another question:

I'm looking on ebay at regulators and since they're so common in hydroponics and brewing theres a lot to choose from. (I even found one for $40 with free shipping, no solenoid)


I don't understand how to tell what sizes the connections are on the regulator, do I need to figure out what it takes for bottle attachments and outlet? are these something easily adapted or changed? (finding adapters can be a total pita in my experience)

what considerations need to be made for a regulator?

Darkblade48 11-16-2012 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psittac (Post 2080150)
Another question:

I'm looking on ebay at regulators and since they're so common in hydroponics and brewing theres a lot to choose from. (I even found one for $40 with free shipping, no solenoid)


I don't understand how to tell what sizes the connections are on the regulator, do I need to figure out what it takes for bottle attachments and outlet? are these something easily adapted or changed? (finding adapters can be a total pita in my experience)

what considerations need to be made for a regulator?

Experience is usually required for CO2 regulators. You need to have a CGA320 nut and nipple for the high pressure side. This is standard in North America. Asia and Europe use different standards.

For the output side, it is usually 1/4" female NPT.

From there, it depends on the other parts you have (i.e. the solenoids I use are 1/8" female NPT, so I need to use a reducer from 1/4" down to 1/8", etc). These parts can usually be found at your local hardware store.

Other considerations when choosing a regulator:

Dual stage or single stage?
One gauge or two?
Chrome plated, brass or stainless steel (all work for our purposes; this is more aesthetics)
Maximum delivery pressure?

And of course,

Price?

Psittac 11-16-2012 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkblade48 (Post 2080311)
Experience is usually required for CO2 regulators. You need to have a CGA320 nut and nipple for the high pressure side. This is standard in North America. Asia and Europe use different standards.

For the output side, it is usually 1/4" female NPT.

From there, it depends on the other parts you have (i.e. the solenoids I use are 1/8" female NPT, so I need to use a reducer from 1/4" down to 1/8", etc). These parts can usually be found at your local hardware store.

Other considerations when choosing a regulator:

Dual stage or single stage?
One gauge or two?
Chrome plated, brass or stainless steel (all work for our purposes; this is more aesthetics)
Maximum delivery pressure?

And of course,

Price?


uhhhhh I'll just let people give me links lmao, way to much to take into consideration and NONE of that information is on ebay

Psittac 11-19-2012 05:18 AM

No cheaper options? The paintball option looks nice since it's almost half the price.

I may not be doing any upgrades anytime soon, in school for another 10 months and moving out so money will be tight.

I was hoping to use the money I got from selling fish from my other tanks to put into this one but not sure if I can spare the money. I'll know soon enough.

Thanks for all the input.

Green_Flash 11-19-2012 06:57 AM

cheapest I know of

aquatek mini paintball on ebay for $80
20oz tank $17 on amazon
refill $5 at sports authority
diffuser free to whatever

total is only about $100


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.