The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   New York (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Have you been to this Buffalo pet store? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197379)

MABJ 11-15-2012 03:50 AM

Have you been to this Buffalo pet store?

The Fish Place in North Tonawanda, Buffalo.

I've heard mostly good reviews on them, and I'm sure they're leaps and bounds better than any fish store I've been to.

Any suggestions from someone who has been there?

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

Fdsh5 11-15-2012 03:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It is my favorite place. The staff is great and willing to answer all your questions no matter how stupid they are. They have tons of tanks.

MABJ 11-16-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fdsh5 (Post 2079131)
It is my favorite place. The staff is great and willing to answer all your questions no matter how stupid they are. They have tons of tanks.

Yay!!! Thanks so much for your answer. I'm going tomorrow and I'm too excited.

I will be looking for shrimp, least kilifish and micro tetras. :)

lipadj46 11-17-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MABJ (Post 2080856)
Yay!!! Thanks so much for your answer. I'm going tomorrow and I'm too excited.

I will be looking for shrimp, least kilifish and micro tetras. :)

I grew up in north tonawanda and it was great being able to ride my bike to one of the largest fish stores in the country. Their big display tank was incredible. I go back there now and again and it has gone downhill as western NY economy has declined. The main small fish room with high turnover has lots of healthy fish. The middle room with, cichlids, large freshwater fish, brackish etc. Is another story. I saw half dead discus, sick, dying and dead fish, skinny fish etc. The saltwater stuff looked healthy but I'm no expert. The big thousands of gallon display could have been healthier too, skinny fish with ragged fins.

Last time I was there I saw the owner Pete cleaning tanks looking pissed that his staff let it get that bad. With all that being said it still is a cool store that is a fixture in the area, the staff is knowledgeable too. You might want to check out pets plus in lockport, its dirtier and shadier but they have animals and fish that you won't see anywhere in a store anymore

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

MABJ 11-17-2012 10:07 PM

Thanks a bunch! I went today and was thoroughly impressed. There are no fish stores around me like that. This one was nearly two hours away. And while its selection was huge, I only left with four very small fish.

The shrimp selection was sad, but the people there were impressed by them.

I picked up some H. Formosa, but the real treasure was seeing a fish store that size and seeing the wide variety of tanks.

The thousand gallon display you talked about had monster fish in it. They looked healthy. They had 3 tanks with unhealthy fish and all were thusly marked with a big X or not for sale.

So all in all I was very happy. They also had a nice selection of tanks(not that I need more) and very nice foods and gravels.

lipadj46 11-17-2012 10:22 PM

That's good to hear. I'll be heading to the area next week and will stop in on the way home just to see if anything suits my fancy. I've haven't been there in over a year so glad to hear things have gotten better.

MABJ 11-17-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lipadj46 (Post 2081951)
That's good to hear. I'll be heading to the area next week and will stop in on the way home just to see if anything suits my fancy. I've haven't been there in over a year so glad to hear things have gotten better.

I'm into only dwarf fish/inverts so that's all I would buy.

In that respect the pickings were slim for me. They probably would be everywhere but at Mzjinzkd's shop.

He had the H.Formosa, dwarf puffers, ghost shrimp, RCS, lowest grade CRS/CBS and "orange Cardinia" shrimp.

It was the first time I ever saw a dwarf puffer in person, and they were all SO CUTE