The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/)
-   -   Moving branch with fissidens to a new tank...any chemicals to kill snails? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/197287-moving-branch-fissidens-new-tank-any-chemicals-kill-snails.html)

hedge_fund 11-14-2012 01:59 PM

Moving branch with fissidens to a new tank...any chemicals to kill snails?
 
Hello. I will be moving a nice branch with a ton of fissidens on it. In the old tank I have limpet snails so I do not want to transfer them over. Are there any chemicals that would kill all the snails but leave my fissidens healthy? I can always do a peroxide or bleach bath but I do not want to affect the juicy healthy moss.

Does liquid copper kill plants? (if such thing exists).

Thanks.

somewhatshocked 11-14-2012 02:03 PM

Potassium permanganate would work pretty well. Much easier on the moss than bleach.

It's great for disinfecting nets and other tank equipment, as well.

hedge_fund 11-14-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatshocked (Post 2078263)
Potassium permanganate would work pretty well. Much easier on the moss than bleach.

It's great for disinfecting nets and other tank equipment, as well.

Thanks.

Do you know the dosing amounts or where is the best place to buy this?

btw. one of these days I need to try some of your homemade shrimp foods and post the reviews here. I've been hearing some good things.

plamski 11-14-2012 02:39 PM

10ml per gal hydrogen peroxide dip for 10 min. I never try on fissidens, thought.
But there wasn't any problem with other mosses.

hedge_fund 11-14-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plamski (Post 2078289)
10ml per gal hydrogen peroxide dip for 10 min. I never try on fissidens, thought.
But there wasn't any problem with other mosses.

Did it kill all the snails including eggs? I hate these limpet snails haha.

ravensgate 11-14-2012 03:25 PM

PP won't kill eggs. You want to do that you need to use alum and a 3 day soak.

Bananariot 11-14-2012 03:33 PM

Too much for too long will kill mosses too. A 10 min dip was enough to knock my fiss back enough where it took 2 months + co2 to recover

somewhatshocked 11-14-2012 04:00 PM

Bought mine on eBay for a couple bucks. Lasts forever.

Usually takes just a few grains of it to make a fairly dark solution.

Fissidens is so finicky that I've never left it in any dip for more than a few minutes.

Maybe you could do a dip and then quarantine it in a bucket for a week or so and examine it every day to make sure there are no eggs or snails?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedge_fund (Post 2078272)
Do you know the dosing amounts or where is the best place to buy this?


Soothing Shrimp 11-14-2012 04:08 PM

one more thing, don't do a copper solution. It will kill snails, but it is my understanding will also kill all the shrimp in your tank as well.

hedge_fund 11-14-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp (Post 2078355)
one more thing, don't do a copper solution. It will kill snails, but it is my understanding will also kill all the shrimp in your tank as well.

Yeah, I was going to dip the branch in my bathtub with the copper solution.

ravensgate 11-14-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bananariot (Post 2078321)
Too much for too long will kill mosses too. A 10 min dip was enough to knock my fiss back enough where it took 2 months + co2 to recover

In alum? Or something else mentioned? Cause I've done 3 day alum dips on fissidens and probably 6 different varieties of mosses as well as floated with zero harm done to the plants.

plamski 11-14-2012 07:16 PM

I have some moss in plastic container which has been thru HP dip. I can't see any snails
now /3 months after the dip/.

Bananariot 11-15-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravensgate (Post 2078510)
In alum? Or something else mentioned? Cause I've done 3 day alum dips on fissidens and probably 6 different varieties of mosses as well as floated with zero harm done to the plants.

Potassium Permanganate. Also uhh that tetra clear water or something is just Potassium Permanganate.

mordalphus 11-15-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedge_fund (Post 2078393)
Yeah, I was going to dip the branch in my bathtub with the copper solution.

copper also kills most mosses and a lot of plants too. careful with that. also will absorb into the wood, and who knows how long for it to leech out


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.