The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   CO2 system and different mixes for the aquarium?? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197283)

greenthumbs 11-14-2012 01:39 PM

CO2 system and different mixes for the aquarium??

OK so i purchased a DIY co2 system called the DIY CO2 system pro from [Ebay Link Removed] In the instructions it uses vinegar and baking soda. It requires two 2L bottles, and has a needle valve and pressure gauge.. anyways.... I noticed most people use yeast and sugar mixes, and in the horticulture world i learned the yeast method as well. Is there a reason why people use yeast over baking soda? Does one last longer than the other?? or is one more toxic?? i remember the yeast method was smelly and id like to avoid the yeast method if possible. Im just not sure if i would be harming my plants or fish? any thoughts or suggestions?? sorry if this seems like a noobie question.

Darkblade48 11-14-2012 04:05 PM

I'm not quite sure what the purpose of the pressure gauge and needle valve on a 2L pop bottle system would be...

In any case, using vinegar and baking soda will generate CO2, but it is uncontrollable. CO2 gas will just be generated, and I suppose with your product it "should be" controlled by the pressure gauge/needle valve. However, 2L bottles are not designed to hold a significant amount of pressure, so you may find that your bottles explode instead. :icon_eek:

The yeast method consumes sugar and produces CO2 as a byproduct of metabolism, and this method generates CO2 more slowly, but also over a longer period of time (weeks versus instantaneously for vinegar/baking soda). Because of this, you do not need to put a pressure gauge/needle valve on it, thereby not stressing the pop bottles to enormous pressure.

I would avoid using the vinegar/baking soda method. If you want to avoid using DIY CO2 using yeast due to the smell/hassle/etc, then I would suggest you take a look into pressurized CO2 (take a look at the articles that I have written (linked in my signature) for more information).

greenthumbs 11-14-2012 04:21 PM

co2

Well after reading your post i think i may modify the co2 system i bought, remove the gauge and maybe add another bottle of yeast mix or install a DIY bubble counter. I know i said id like to stay away from the smell, but id prefer the smell of yeast over a highly pressurized system. thanks for your reply.

laqu 12-21-2012 12:45 AM

i was just looking at that 'kit' as i don't really do well with drills and soda caps ... how do you like it?

R.sok 12-21-2012 01:02 AM

Sorry to thread jack but what is the smell you guys are talking about? I don't smell anything with my diyc02 unless I open the cap for a new batch.

Laqu-You don't need to use a drill. I just take a philips screwdriver that is smaller than the tube & jam it into the cap then take the hose and cut the end so it's pointy & pull it through with needle nose pliers. For sealant I just use straight superglue

Darkblade48 12-21-2012 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.sok (Post 2116012)
Sorry to thread jack but what is the smell you guys are talking about? I don't smell anything with my diyc02 unless I open the cap for a new batch.

That's the smell I don't like dealing with. Everytime I opened up my bottles, it smelled like a medieval mead factory :D

matnez82 12-21-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laqu (Post 2115978)
i was just looking at that 'kit' as i don't really do well with drills and soda caps ... how do you like it?

I have been looking at this system too. Does it have a pressure relief valve built into it? In your opinion is it a good product?

laqu 12-22-2012 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.sok (Post 2116012)

Laqu-You don't need to use a drill. I just take a philips screwdriver that is smaller than the tube & jam it into the cap then take the hose and cut the end so it's pointy & pull it through with needle nose pliers. For sealant I just use straight superglue

LOOKING FOR YEAST NOW!

screwdrivers i can use/abuse!!!!!

laqu 12-22-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matnez82 (Post 2117898)
I have been looking at this system too. Does it have a pressure relief valve built into it? In your opinion is it a good product?

from the video what i can tell is they don't do yeast or baking soda they do citric acid mix.. and only mix a small amount to get pressure to 1.5 then dose for x period of time... so minimal pressure build up and no overnight doesing... sort of a 'timed thing' ... i get why they have the pressure gauge when they are setting it up to run for x hours only as the time it will run is determined by the pressure gauge.

Hilde 08-25-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenthumbs (Post 2078249)
In the instructions it uses vinegar and baking soda.

I have been reading and seeing on you tube them using citric acid and baking soda.

Hoppy 08-25-2014 02:48 AM

That system is a very nicely designed system that uses feedback to control the rate of CO2 generation. I haven't used it, so I can't say how well it works, but the basic idea is sound. I think I read where someone who did use it found it didn't continue to work very long.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...4&postcount=40