Mitch P's 75 Gallon Jungle ( UPDATED 2/9/13)
Hello Planted Tank!
I have been smitten by the planted tank bug recently and endeavored with a 15g small planted tank. I messed that up the first time but diddnt give up and tried again and well, I am having some great results over the past several months. I have recently decided that I want to get really serious about planted tanks and transform my 75G African Cichlid tank to a tropical fish, massive planted tank:icon_eek:.
It is just time for something new if anyone knows what I mean ( had the Cichlids for several years now ).
So I have began to gather all the necessary items! But I could use some input on things if you all would recommend I get. It seems a lot different having a larger tank.
Things I have for the 75 gallon:
2 x Westek TE06WHB 2 Outlet Digital Timer with 2 Grounded Outlet, White
- Brand New 2x Eheim 2217 (still in box :redface:) ( will be taken cycled media from current 75g setup and putting it in the eheims :))
- 5lb Co2 Cylinder
- Green Leaf Aquarium Co2 Regulator ( Stainless Steel one )
- GLA Diffuser ( currently have a smaller one, will be getting a large one for the 75g)
Lighting: Currently in route here via shipper :)
Catalina Aquarium 3 Lamp t5HO fixture.
- 2 x 6.5k and 1 x plant grow bulb:
- This fixture seemed to be the best bang for the buck. For the price I was able to get the light fixture and the eheim 2217 for LESS than a 4 bulb fixture.
- Also to note, I will not be running all 3 bulbs at once. I will be running 2 on a timer together and 3rd on a noon "Burst" timer.
Substrate: Currently in route here via shipper :)
-ADA AquaSoil: Currently have 5 x 9L Bags on the way.
- 2 x Aqueon Pro 250w (had these forever!)
- I purchased a piece of driftwood on Ebay recently. Only to see it on here as well xD. Its a large piece and I hope to run it from the left hand side of the tank to middle-ish. A pic of the driftwood from Ebay ( I am sorry if you did not want this picture used, I just havent gotten the wood yet cause I just bought it yesterday :tongue: )
- I ordered the Pfertz Hi tech soltution with the 45% off :D
Ok so that is what I currently have for the 75g. Please feel free to comment. All comments and suggestions will be taken seriously! And I will respond to EVERYONE that posts in this thread.
- I now have an API Freshwater Master Test Kit :D
- I have ordered an API KH & GH Test Kit :D
Now we are on to things that I still need to get. Not much is left that I am fully aware of, and I will do my best to get ahold of everything in a timely manner :).
Things I need or have questions about:
-I am thinking of purchasing a second Eheim 2217 or the Eheim Pro 90 or higher to put on the tank in place of the AC 110s and Fluval 305 once the ammonia is gone from the Aquasoil. . It seems it may be more aesthetically pleasing to do so. Please feel free to give me your opinions!
- Ordered PFertz Hi Tech Solution!
- Need to find some reliable Osmocote capsules!
- I currently have a CalAqua Nano Dropchecker from GLA. I dont know if this will be enough for the 75 gallon. Might need to upgrade this.
As I continue to go through the process of all this, I will add more things that I need as I found out what they are! Of course, once again, please feel free to comment and add suggestions!
So now to the Fish and Plants segment of this journal. I currently have these ideas:
- German Blue Rams ( want to get 1 male and 1 female, maybe 2 females if the tank size permits it. What do you guys think).
- Cardinal Tetras
- Fancy Tail Guppies
- Panda Cories :)
Those are what I know I want if I can make it work. Time will tell as I do more research to see what Rams will be compatible and comfortable with.
This is where my lack of a vast majority of plants bothers me. I currently did not organize my 15g at all. Just put the plants in as I saw fit and made kind of an unorganized jungle of sorts. But with this 75 I really want it to be organized with stems in the back, some bushiness in the mid ground, and a decent carpeting plant. I am still looking into different types of plants trying to identify the names and correlate them to where they would go in the tank.
Currently I know I have and want:
- Mircro Sword
- Ludwigia ( I currently have many different types in my 15g, just not very organized)
- Amazon Sword
-Blyxa Japonica(Currently have a bit in my 15g :D)
- Moss for the Driftwood ( have a little bit but not much right now)
- Crypt Wendtii
- Anubias ( have a few different kinds right now)
And here is a pic of the 15g at the start:
And I also added some of this ( not sure what the name is but its beautiful and has grown out of control lately xD sorry for the strings of moss left on them, this pic was taken immediately after they were planted)
Those are some of the plants I KNOW I currently have and will be transferring to the 75g. I will be needing to find a LOT more plants and in a more organized fashion then the 15g. So this is something I need tons of suggestions on, and pictures if you have them!!!! All help will be greatly appreciated and you will be thanked personally for any suggestion!
Update! Picture of all the supplies so far on my floor :P
Just ordered the Pfertz Hi tech Solution. I ordered them because they are having the 45% off sale :D. Thats one more thing off the list!
Your plan this far looks rockstar! I am but a newbie really, but your filtration ideas seems plenty. I have a 2217 and a 2213 on my 75 and it seems to be enough. With the attention to detail you seem to have down pat, and the high quality components you are setting up, I think your money in the bank. The DW is epic! I love it and cant wait to see it in action! Good luck and keep us all posted with pics........we love em!
I truly appreciate your kind words :D. gonna keep plugging away at this and hope for the best! Pics tomorrow of some more items that are arriving!!
Just got my API Freshwater master test kit in!
Also some plant weights came in today ( not lead, more like a plastic/rubber soft material...the ones from aquariumplants.com :D)
I have also ordered a GH & KH test kit from API
Just ordered a new Co2 Reg from GLA. :D My other reg doesent have a noid on it so I decided to upgrade :D
I have now ordered some dual outlet timers!!!!
Expensive hobbie but we all love it,nice tank come in up for sure.
Figured I would hit you guys up with a picture update of all the supplies in my room!
Second Eheim 2217 is in the mail!!!!
How much flow are you planning on having? I run a Aquaclear 110 and Eheim 2128 on my 75g and it seems like plenty of flow and filtration even with around 80 fish. And you are going pretty high tech considering most of the plants on your list could probably flourish in low tech. My last suggestion would be to set it up peninsula style if you can. 75g have beautiful dimensions for peninsula setups.
Why on earth are you running so many filters?
Does anyone happen to have an opinion on ADA PowerSand Special? I am thinking of splurging and getting it for this tank but I have read differing opinions on this base. Any opinions would be great!
The build has begun! Pics will be up tomorrow as this is a 2day job :D
|All times are GMT. The time now is 06:38 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.