The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Assassin snail reproduction (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197164)

Lkittredge 11-13-2012 02:12 PM

Assassin snail reproduction

I have a single assassin snail in a 5 gallon tank. I have seen what I think are eggs but assumed they would not be fertile. Lately I have seen two or three little snails that i think are assassin snails. Could these be the assassin snail babies?

MSG 11-13-2012 02:29 PM

It's totally possible & you'll find out once they get a little larger in a few weeks.

• What are you feeding the assassins?
  • What other critters inhabit your tank?

Lkittredge 11-13-2012 05:37 PM

Thanks for the reply. Its a shrimp tank with CRS and Fire red cherry shrimp. I put the one assassin in there as I had a large number of rams horn snails. So for a while I guess I was feeding him those but he has pretty much wiped them out. Now I just throw in a snail once a week or so from another tank. I have not really researched them much, but he/she/it seems to do well. Cruises around a fair amount and buries in the sand from time to time.

GeToChKn 11-13-2012 05:55 PM

I thought assassins needed a M/F pair to have babies, unlike some other snails which only need 2 snails or other snails that don't need anyone. lol.

MABJ 11-13-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeToChKn (Post 2077282)
I thought assassins needed a M/F pair to have babies, unlike some other snails which only need 2 snails or other snails that don't need anyone. lol.

I do believe the females can store many rounds of sperm.

But assassin shells look similar to MTS shells so you'll just have to wait :)

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

Lkittredge 11-13-2012 07:23 PM

I got the assassin from a pet store that had many of them in there. At first I thought they were MTS that must have come in on a plant. In looking at the biggest one (which is still fairly small) I am fairly certain it is a baby assassin. Like you said time will tell.

dougolasjr 11-13-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MABJ (Post 2077284)
I do believe the females can store many rounds of sperm.

But assassin shells look similar to MTS shells so you'll just have to wait :)

+1 on this. I heard they can store it also.

MABJ 11-13-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lkittredge (Post 2077373)
I got the assassin from a pet store that had many of them in there. At first I thought they were MTS that must have come in on a plant. In looking at the biggest one (which is still fairly small) I am fairly certain it is a baby assassin. Like you said time will tell.

It'd be cool if you could breed them as for snails, they're pretty expensive.