The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   33gallon long (with 55g sump!) (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197147)

biogenetic40379 11-13-2012 04:16 AM

33gallon long (with 55g sump!)

3 Attachment(s)
So i went to the lfs on sunday and low and behold they had a 33l in the store. I saw it and had to have it so being the poor college student i am, i bought it. I got it drilled that afternoon from another lfs (not taking a chance on a brand new $100 tank). When i got it home, i was looking at the stand for my old 55g and realized how much that stand is not sump-able. So being the DIY type, i googled a dual 55g stand and went to home depot today and got the materials (had them cut it too, which they forgot to charge me for). So my living room looks like a lumber yard atm, i have a bunch of pvc fixtures in my storage closet, and i still need to figure out a cover for the front of the stand that will be removable. Looking to make this a very sleek looking tank.

andrewss 11-13-2012 05:29 AM

oh nice :)

lookin forward to seein updates of the progress!

manik 11-13-2012 05:49 AM

Nice find on a 33long. Seems like a great size... too bad its not rimless, now that would be cool! Check this for some inspiration on a long setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRxbErSngJE&feature=plcp

boxhead1990 11-13-2012 06:08 AM

Looks good so far

Green machine have some very good looking step by step vids on a few of there display tanks

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

GMYukonon24s 11-13-2012 01:11 PM

Nice start. I like the long footprint

Overfloater 11-13-2012 07:27 PM

$100 for that tank? I picked mine up at the LFS for $35. Either I got a great deal or you didn't. ;) Its a great footprint to work with. Unfortunately mine is in storage for the time being. Enjoy it!

biogenetic40379 11-13-2012 09:00 PM

$35 for a 33g long? Wish i could find one for that price....The tank price is about the same as buying one online before shipping. Manik, that video was pretty awesome.

biogenetic40379 11-13-2012 09:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Update for the Day. Stayed up till 130am last night assembling the stand. Found out that the plans i followed had the wrong size for 31" support beams, should have been closer to 30.5". Owell, hopped on the scooter and went to the woodshop on campus. Used my time between classes to finishing installing everything on the stand. After class I headed to walmart and bought paint and primer. The stand is currently primed, drying and waiting for the black. Still debating on what to cover the front with.

Other things i need to hash out
1.) How to do my lighting, i have a 48" t5ho that i will be using (maybe hang it off the ceiling)
2.) Gotta get my post body kit sealed right for my pressurized co2
3.) Substrate and decorations. I have 3 nice pieces of driftwood i may use. The gf wants black sand, but i may do play sand
4.) Fauna and Flora will come at a later date. Keep the videos coming (that was really cool) I want my tank to be one of a kind and a local show stopper.
5.) Gotta get glass cut for the sump set-up. Still havent decided what type of sump layout i want. And i need to get a pump (gonna grab one from harbor freight, got a buddy who swears by them)
6.) Gotta plumb the pvc/ sump

Gotta give credit for the stand design: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...55_diy_pt1.php

manik 11-14-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biogenetic40379 (Post 2077548)
Keep the videos coming (that was really cool) I want my tank to be one of a kind and a local show stopper.

6.) Gotta plumb the pvc/ sump

Isn't that tank in the video amazing :). Interesting layout, how it's bermed on the sides like that. Love the river stones too. Check their website out, it's all inspiring stuff.

IME, play sand has a high amount of silica in it. I used it for a tank a while back, and had a 3 month diatom bloom :icon_eek:. It was eternal and rediculous. White sand reflects more light (which could be a good thing or bad thing) Black sand hides algae and diatoms. Brings the color out more in fish and plants.

When you get the glass cut for the sump, keep in mind to try to seal the sump as much as possible. I used weather stripping, rubber grommets, and tape on the seams. From my current tank, I've had issues with the CO2 offgassing via the pvc overflow and the sump. Try to make it as airtight as possible )tubing, wires, etc. You'll save yourself headache and wasted gas.

somewhatshocked 11-14-2012 12:15 AM

This tank is screaming for all kinds of Neon Blue Gobies.

Terrific footprint. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

biogenetic40379 11-14-2012 06:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok, the stand is now black and moved into position. Got all my lighting hung too, just gotta wait for the stand to dry all the way and move the tanks on. one of the lfs wants me to make the tank into a reef (tempting, but soooo expensive).

somewhatshocked 11-14-2012 12:43 PM

Have you considered building a thin frame - just covering the front and sides - that slides away when you need access inside the stand?

Could be cost-effective and attractive. Some people even put them on tiny rollers to make them easy to move.

biogenetic40379 11-14-2012 01:36 PM

it is an option, the GF thinks a good sheet of cloth might work too. I want a solid panel though. Not worried about the sides since the plywood is already on there

DogFish 11-14-2012 02:37 PM

I've done a cloth drape once, it never really looked "right".

Maybe consider a simple panel that could be held in place with 4 - cabinet door magnets. I think you might find that a clean, modern look. It also would not take advanced cabinet building skills to do.You would need 4 cabinet magnets and a handle or knob. I've also seen a single 3/4" finger hole drilled in the upper center to remove the panel.

somewhatshocked 11-14-2012 02:56 PM

The sides would only be used for support and so the front stays in place.

Otherwise, you'll have to use magnets as DogFish mentions or some kind of hook/latch system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by biogenetic40379 (Post 2078287)
it is an option, the GF thinks a good sheet of cloth might work too. I want a solid panel though. Not worried about the sides since the plywood is already on there