The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bare bottom 80G. goldfish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196978)

Gold Finger 11-11-2012 08:07 PM

Bare bottom 80G. goldfish

Substrate removed. Plants tied to wood.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH..._002smallc.jpg

Gold Finger 11-11-2012 08:29 PM

I have returned to bare. Can't keep substrate clean enough for my liking. Miss the sand look but like being able to rearranging the plants at will. It happens automatically as I push the driftwood around while vacuuming the glass bottom. I do it almost daily to get the crap out before it can break down. +/-5 gals a day. All the crap gets hidden under the wood so you don't ever see it. Works for me.

Gold Finger 11-11-2012 08:36 PM

Daily Rescape

The daily rearrangement of the environment makes the fish more interesting/interested. Some say goldfish don't care about plants in the tank. Ridiculous. All fish relate very strongly to the landscape and plants. Observation or Anyone who has sportfished with a fish finder can tell you that. Fish follow the landscape features, they don't float around aimlessly in open water. Exploring the new layout keeps 'em occupied and behaving differently all the time. it's still not much to look at, but i am still new at it.

Gold Finger 11-12-2012 12:33 AM

Will need to fertilize now that the rich substrate is gone. C. Willisi suffering, C. crisp. balensae and all other plants fine. Probably using stored nutrients. One clump of hornwort pale. Adding K+, Cal/Mag, Fe. Will add traces and excel after a little observation. Am guessing I will need to add: 5~10ppm K+, 7 Fe, traces and standard dose excel. Could probably take the light up another 32 watts then to 2wpg.

dprais1 11-12-2012 12:38 AM

Did you paint the bottom of the tank? That helps a lot with the "empty" look
I have used the 2.99 latex sample size from home depot with great results. the sample will cover the entire back of a 125 gal

stevenjohn21 11-12-2012 12:41 AM

Krylon do a "speckle" spray paint which ive seen sprayed on the tanks bottom which looks like real sand substrate.

Amandas tank 11-12-2012 12:49 AM

I completely agree with your statement about fish and plants. I have been moving things around for a year+ in my tank and it is obvious the fish love having a new scene as they explore unkown canyons and caves. About once a month something is changed, and no matter how small a change the fish really dig it!

+1 on the speckle paint on the underside of the bottom. You would like it, and the fish might too. I bet they miss turning the substrate. My son had goldfish for a time, and they always would pick gravel up and suck it then spit it out. It was fun to watch.

Gold Finger 11-12-2012 12:51 AM

Tried black paint underneath once. It was a bit better, but still a bit empty looking. Speckled sounds interesting. Am not draining this tank though. I am hoping for some brilliant epitome of the perfect solution to strike me. Waiting... Waiting...

Gold Finger 11-12-2012 12:54 AM

They do miss turning the substrate. They get a certain amount of almost microscopic food from it. The varying "unknown canyons and caves" seem to more than make up for it though.

Jaguar 11-12-2012 12:55 AM

Foam bottom like a foam background, sculped ever so slightly to look realistic while still being easy to vac... could even make holes to put the plants in. That would still require draining the tank though it could look really awesome...

Gold Finger 11-12-2012 12:59 AM

Hmmm. Interesting. Several ramifications there... Will definitely think on that.

stevenjohn21 11-12-2012 12:59 AM

Ive seen Tiled bottoms too, they can look better than bare bottom. A nice slate tile would look natural with a few slate rocks in various places around the tank .

Gold Finger 11-12-2012 01:03 AM

Would have to move all the slate pieces around to get at the daily poop fest below. It occured to me but I think it would be hard to deal with. Also, I think some food would slip between the pieces before it got eaten.

stevenjohn21 11-12-2012 01:04 AM

You would silicone the slate to the tanks bottom so nothing would get trapped.

Gold Finger 11-12-2012 01:06 AM

Oh yes. That sound like a great idea!