The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   CO2 safety, Read! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196969)

Bettatail 11-11-2012 07:09 PM

CO2 safety, Read!
 
Quote:
Above 2%, carbon dioxide may cause a feeling of heaviness in the chest and/or more frequent and deeper respirations.
Toxic levels of carbon dioxide: at levels above 5%, concentration CO2 is directly toxic. [At lower levels we may be seeing effects of a reduction in the relative amount of oxygen rather than direct toxicity of CO2.]

Source:
http://www.doomedglobe.com/Pages/co2_toxicity.htm

At normal oxygen level, 7% co2 concentration can be lethal, and the OSHA standard for lethal dosage is 10% concentration within 30 minutes.
At lower oxygen level the effect of co2 poisoning is much stronger on human body.

5lb co2 in a 12'X12'x9' room is 5.15%.
air density is 0.075lb per square feet at 70 degree, in a room of 12'x12'x9', is 97.2lb.
97.2lb(air)-5lb(air been pushed out)+5lb(co2 from 5lb co2 tank)=97.2lb(mixed air)
5lb(co2)/97.2lb(mixed air)X100%=5.15%
over the toxic level

In a smaller room the concentration is higher.


Recently a lot of fellow members build their own co2 pressurized system, while building or after the system is built, CO2 safety is really important and must be kept in mind. AND MAKE SURE YOUR CO2 SYSTEM IS 100% FUNCTIONAL AND HAS NO LEAK.

Personally, it only take less than 2 hours to build a system if all parts are ready, but takes up to two weeks for a different series steps of test to make sure the unit is 100% functional and no leak.
And I keep the house windows open when playing with new systems.
Hope you do the same if you are building a co2 system.

Darkblade48 11-11-2012 08:04 PM

Keep in mind that most rooms are not hermetically sealed, and that CO2 is denser than air so will naturally flow out through gaps between the door/floor, vents, etc.

Bettatail 11-11-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkblade48 (Post 2075174)
Keep in mind that most rooms are not hermetically sealed, and that CO2 is denser than air so will naturally flow out through gaps between the door/floor, vents, etc.

+1, if you see your dog or cat acting wired while you are playing with co2 equipment, open the windows or the door immediately.

xmas_one 11-12-2012 02:21 AM

Yes, also beware of deadly dihydrogen oxide!

ua hua 11-12-2012 02:38 AM

How do you test your regulators after assembling Bettatail? I have read on one of the regulator companies site that if reassembling a regulator it should be tested using helium by a certified technician. Do you just run co2 through them when testing or do you use helium as they suggest?

Bettatail 11-12-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmas_one (Post 2075620)
Yes, also beware of deadly dihydrogen oxide!

You are talking about the most plenty deadly substance on earth?!!!!
:icon_eek:

for any of you don't know what it is, please google it, "dihydrogen oxide poisoning"

The whole section of people, about 10 of us, fell for the "dihydrogen oxide poisoning" during safety brief in April, 2005. :icon_sad:

chevyguy8893 11-12-2012 02:43 AM

Good article pointing out that rushing and not paying attention could lead to a problematic situation. Also, for pressurized CO2 systems be sure to secure the tank in some way to avoid it being knocked over and causing damage in some way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmas_one (Post 2075620)
Yes, also beware of deadly dihydrogen oxide!

If it gets on you get a towel immediately and contact a doctor ASAP :).

stevenjohn21 11-12-2012 02:45 AM

A battery powered C02 detector for $18 on Amazon is well worth the money ;-)

Darkblade48 11-12-2012 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 (Post 2075649)
A battery powered C02 detector for $18 on Amazon is well worth the money ;-)

Are you sure those are not carbon monoxide detectors you are thinking of?

ua hua 11-12-2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmas_one (Post 2075620)
Yes, also beware of deadly dihydrogen oxide!

You can mix it with Scotch and counteract the effects, unless you have high doses which can result in vomitting, blurred vision, and poor judgement or in extreme cases death.:icon_roll

Bettatail 11-12-2012 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ua hua (Post 2075638)
How do you test your regulators after assembling Bettatail? I have read on one of the regulator companies site that if reassembling a regulator it should be tested using helium by a certified technician. Do you just run co2 through them when testing or do you use helium as they suggest?

Helium test is for the highly toxic gas service equipment, this standard of leak test is to prevent leak, normally down to molecule level. co2 is not highly toxic gas, and I can't measure how many co2 molecule escape from the system.:biggrin:

the safety issue here is the co2 concentration in enclosed environment. the proper operating procedure is pretty much the same as any welding shops, properly handle high pressure equipment, prevent frostbit and "keep the windows open", so co2 concentration can not reach to the level that cause trouble. :)

ua hua 11-12-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bettatail (Post 2075666)
Helium test is for the highly toxic gas service equipment, this standard of leak test is to prevent leak, normally down to molecule level. co2 is not highly toxic gas, and I can't measure how many co2 molecule escape from the system.:biggrin:

the safety issue here is the co2 concentration in enclose environment. the proper operating procedure is pretty much the same as welding shops: "keep the windows open", and co2 concentration can not reach to the level that cause trouble. :)

I guess I'm confused then because in your first post you said that co2 levels above 5% concentration can be toxic. I have read more than a few threads on this forum where people were having co2 leaks from there system and I don't see how this small amount could pose a problem unless you have your tank setup in a closet that is sealed up with duct tape.

stlouisan 11-12-2012 03:09 AM

dihydrogen oxide.... heehee!:tongue: that's funny

clang 11-12-2012 03:35 AM

dihydrogen monooxide

Bettatail 11-12-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ua hua (Post 2075670)
I guess I'm confused then because in your first post you said that co2 levels above 5% concentration can be toxic. I have read more than a few threads on this forum where people were having co2 leaks from there system and I don't see how this small amount could pose a problem unless you have your tank setup in a closet that is sealed up with duct tape.

in enclosed environment, leaked co2 can not escape and concentration will rise.

about the 5% toxicity, the detail is in the provided link, very interesting article.

It is the dose that kill, any substance can be toxic if give the proper amount, so as dihydrogen oxide, a poisonous deadly substance. :biggrin:


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.