The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Which LED light system for 40 breeder? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196840)

Soup12 11-10-2012 07:31 PM

Which LED light system for 40 breeder?

making 2 planted 40 breeders. Low tech plants primarily, maybe some xmas moss and red ludwigia (i wont keep if it becomes hard to keep)

Should i go with the finnex ray 2 high output 36" or with the Finnex FugeRay: Ultra Slim LED +Moonlights?

thanks

TexasCichlid 11-10-2012 07:35 PM

If not using any CO2, get the Fugeray.

Soup12 11-10-2012 07:47 PM

even if I have alot of floater plants?

1 breeder will be heavily planted- like almost entire tank. lots of floater plants

1 breeder will be iwagami setup (mainly grass and moss) with some floaters (salvinia)

Razorworm 11-16-2012 12:19 PM

I have a 40 set up w/dirt. Plants, misc cryps, ludwigia rep., compact swords, some vals, java fern, and some other stuff I cant remember. I put a Ray2 on top and started seening some hair algae. Moved it about 5" up and everything is doing great. No, I dont have rapid growth, just normal healthy growth. The ludwigia have kept their red coloration as well. I also have a Fuge ray on a similarly set up 20 b with the same results. I LOVE these lights.

Soup12 11-18-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorworm (Post 2080556)
I have a 40 set up w/dirt. Plants, misc cryps, ludwigia rep., compact swords, some vals, java fern, and some other stuff I cant remember. I put a Ray2 on top and started seening some hair algae. Moved it about 5" up and everything is doing great. No, I dont have rapid growth, just normal healthy growth. The ludwigia have kept their red coloration as well. I also have a Fuge ray on a similarly set up 20 b with the same results. I LOVE these lights.

the 40 breeder (when it wasnt lifted 5") did it have floater plants (will block some light), ottos/pleco, or amano shrimp?

Razorworm 11-19-2012 11:58 AM

no floaters. yes otos and amanos

Amy9 11-19-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorworm (Post 2080556)

I have the the Finnex FugeRay and I love it too! I also have many of the same plants you do. I've not had any algae issues though. Mine is mounted on the legs that came with it. I don't use a top so I'm getting full intensity. Great light.

mobruler78 11-19-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy9 (Post 2083557)
I have the the Finnex FugeRay and I love it too! I also have many of the same plants you do. I've not had any algae issues though. Mine is mounted on the legs that came with it. I don't use a top so I'm getting full intensity. Great light.

What size tank do you have? Looking at getting the FugeRay for my nano

Amy9 11-19-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobruler78 (Post 2083907)
What size tank do you have? Looking at getting the FugeRay for my nano

I have a 40b. I bought the 36", very nice and slim and I love the moonlights. The legs only lift it about 3" above the water, just enough to keep it dry. It's great for low/medium light IMO.

Soup12 11-23-2012 06:26 AM

how much duller are the fugeray compared to the ray2's?

kuni 11-23-2012 08:46 PM

To the human eye, both are quite bright. You might notice a difference if you had a Ray2 and a Fugeray next to each other, but both provide plenty of light.

Another comparison: the Marineland Double Brights are noticeably dimmer than the FugeRay.

If you have no lid over your 40B, get a FugeRay.

If you do have a lid, get a Ray2.

Both will give you plenty of light, CO2 or not.

mizzoutank 11-25-2012 02:46 PM

Hi there, not to hijack this threas but im also considering this option. could either one of you who has the 40b w/ these leds post a pic please? The speading is what is concerning me because of the depth of these tanks so it feels odd to only need one. Or have 2 fugerays as they are cheaper than the ray2s. that combo.