The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Lighting (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   36 inch Current USA SunDial T5 HO question (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196639)

anson 11-08-2012 09:23 PM

36 inch Current USA SunDial T5 HO question
 
Hi noob question here... A guy on craiglist is selling a (36 inch Current USA SunDial T5 HO) for $100 currently has 2x ATI Blue Plus, 2x ATI Aquablue Special. Have no idea what that means he says its set up for saltwater, and he thinks that I can swap out the bulbs so I can use it for a plant aquarium. Is that right? can I swap out the bulbs for a planted set up? If so what bulbs should i get?

ngrubich 11-08-2012 10:22 PM

The four bulbs that are in the fixture currently are actinic bulbs (for coral growth). You can swap them out for other T5HO bulbs for freshwater tanks. There will be some discrepancies between which combo you actually need, but bulbs around 6,700K aren't bad.

anson 11-08-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngrubich (Post 2071933)
The four bulbs that are in the fixture currently are actinic bulbs (for coral growth). You can swap them out for other T5HO bulbs for freshwater tanks. There will be some discrepancies between which combo you actually need, but bulbs around 6,700K aren't bad.

Ok so would any t5 bulb work as far wattage when switching bulbs in a t5 light fixture? Im want to make sure I don't put a wrong t5 in there and destroy the ballast if that is even possible.

anson 11-08-2012 11:29 PM

As far as this particular light goes is this a good deal for $100?

ngrubich 11-09-2012 03:52 AM

I don't know much about Current USA fixtures, you'd be better off reading reviews from marine depot or similar marine supply website. I think $100 is about reasonable, but after paying ~$17-20 for each new bulb you buy, it might be better to find a new fixture for just a little more than the ~180 you'll be putting into a used one.
If you get it and switch bulbs, you'll need T5HO bulbs, NOT T5. I think they are 39W each?

Hoppy 11-09-2012 04:13 AM

Are you planning on hanging that light a foot or so above your tank? Four T5HO bulbs, with good reflectors and ballast will give you an awful lot of light for a planted tank. What size tank do you want to use it on?

ngrubich 11-09-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoppy (Post 2072353)
Are you planning on hanging that light a foot or so above your tank? Four T5HO bulbs, with good reflectors and ballast will give you an awful lot of light for a planted tank. What size tank do you want to use it on?

+1; I wasn't really paying attention to the amount of light that was going to be blasting the tank.

anson 11-09-2012 02:06 PM

Its going on a 46g bowfront tank. Will that be to much light for it? I was thinking to get one of these instead.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...duct_tab_stage

ngrubich 11-09-2012 05:26 PM

Go for it if you are satisfied with the reviews: 4 lamps on a 46 gallon is overkill, two will be plenty.

big_trucks_1985 11-12-2012 01:47 AM

it is saltwater bulbs and yes they can be changed very easy.

anson 11-12-2012 07:52 PM

I plan on doing a HC carpet, with some hairgrass. I think I will go with the Nova. Thanks guys!

IWANNAGOFAST 11-12-2012 08:20 PM

i had one of these, it worked well. the reflectors are ok, not super great...

you can run 2 bulbs at a time and it has built in timers

mach_six 11-15-2012 11:16 PM

I would have gotten the sundial because it has built in timers.

I have the newer Current Nova Extreme (same as sundial but no timers) and got it for $124 refurbished by Current. The built in timers would make it worth while to get if I won the auction.

Not sure how old it is, but ask if they are individual reflectors per bulb or one reflector and check for corrosion from the saltwater would be the only thing.

junglefowl 11-15-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anson (Post 2072625)
Its going on a 46g bowfront tank. Will that be to much light for it? I was thinking to get one of these instead.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...duct_tab_stage

+1
I have this fixture on my 30 gallaon tank and it looks nic and bright...


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.