The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Planted Tank Discussion (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   210 gal re-do. Want ideas please. (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196637)

MikeS 11-08-2012 09:52 PM

210 gal re-do. Want ideas please.

I have redone my tank a few times. This time between having ankle reconstruction and a kid, my upkeep slipped, and then we replaced flooring. So basically I am starting over. I have done the community tank, and done the large fish such as datnoids.

At this point, looking for fish ideas before plants and decor, cause those will depend on the fish.

Any ideas?

Tank - 210 gallon, Eheim 2180 and Fluval FX5. Have a 20 lb CO2 tank and the rest of that set up.

Kathyy 11-08-2012 10:12 PM

That would be a terrific discus tank but if I ever went low tech and could curb my collectoritis tendencies I would like to go with an eartheater tank. Sand substrate, big tangle of wood and rocks planted with epiphytes. Since there is lots of wood some plecos would be a good addition with your choice of medium to larger tetras for dither/schooling fish.

Oxl 11-08-2012 11:26 PM

How about a huge school of microfish such as Sparkling Gouramis, Endler's Livebearers, or Celestial Pearl Danios? Those are all shrimp safe so you could also grow quite a colony in with them as well.

MikeS 11-08-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathyy (Post 2071869)
That would be a terrific discus tank but if I ever went low tech and could curb my collectoritis tendencies I would like to go with an eartheater tank. Sand substrate, big tangle of wood and rocks planted with epiphytes. Since there is lots of wood some plecos would be a good addition with your choice of medium to larger tetras for dither/schooling fish.

Aren't discus more difficult? Leaning towards low maintenance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxl (Post 2071935)
How about a huge school of microfish such as Sparkling Gouramis, Endler's Livebearers, or Celestial Pearl Danios? Those are all shrimp safe so you could also grow quite a colony in with them as well.

Hmm.....kinda like that idea. Where would I go to get that quantity of fish? And how many?

Oxl 11-09-2012 12:36 AM

Heck in a 220 you could likely fit 1000 micro fish without a problem, a massive cloud. With Endlers you could start with 100 then let them multiply to their hearts content, the others have slightly more difficult breeding parameters. Not sure where you'd find them in your area but http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a...lies.cfm?c=830 has all those varieties.

MikeS 11-09-2012 12:58 AM

Holly crap, little fish are expensive! I like the Celestial Pearl Danios, but that would be $$$ for a large school. I would settle for a smaller school of tetras for less.

Oxl 11-09-2012 01:36 AM

You could find them much cheaper from a breeder, they go for a premium because they're hard to find as stores can't make a profit off such tiny fish (about 1/5th the mass of a rasbora). There are many other varieties as well, I just listed the three most common.

tdw1989 11-09-2012 01:49 AM

you can find cpd's on here for 3-3.50ea which is alot cheaper than that site

kuni 11-09-2012 02:03 AM

Bloodfin tetras. Cheap, tight schooler, no heater required.

MikeS 11-09-2012 02:08 AM

Definitely going to have to shop around if I go this route. What are some tank mates for these guys other than shrimp and snail?

MikeS 11-09-2012 03:23 AM

Couple things I am looking at:

Rummy nose tetras - What is a good size school for a 210, but allowing room for some other tank mates? Are they small enough to have shrimp?

Cardinal or neon tetras - What is a good size school for a 210, but allowing room for some other tank mates?

Sparkling Gouramis - What is a good size school for a 210, but allowing room for some other tank mates?

discuspaul 11-09-2012 03:30 AM

As Kathyy said, Mike, your tank would make for a superb discus display tank, and the maintenance would not be 'overload' if you got near-adult sized discus, say 8 of them, if your wallet allowed that.
And there would be quite a wide range of compatible discus tank-mates you could keep with them @ the higher discus temps.
Should you be prepared to consider that, I'd be more than happy to help out with any information you might wish.

HybridHerp 11-09-2012 04:17 AM

go larger fish

do a beautfiully scaped planted tank with knife fish, gar, polypterus, and perhaps a few plant safe large cichlids or other oddballs

Green_Flash 11-09-2012 06:36 AM

planted discus or altum angel

mitchfish9 11-09-2012 06:46 AM

discus amazon community tank!! rummynose/cardinal tetra would be great with them