The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hawaii (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Eriocaulons in Hawaii (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196568)

bikercarl 11-08-2012 04:06 AM

Eriocaulons in Hawaii

Aloha All!

I was just wondering if there was anybody raising Eriocaulons here in Hawaii? I've been watching the SnS and even bought a couple, but have lost about half of the ones that I've ordered (from different people) within a day of receiving them.

Also, if you're interested in buying, I can recommend one guy from the SnS on this site. Very nice stuff and easy to work with! I look forward to hearing from you all!

Mahalo!
BikerCarl

aweeby 11-08-2012 04:34 AM

aquascapes in aiea is the mecca of all hawaii aquascapers. i don't usually go down there, but every time I have, I've seen erios.

bikercarl 11-08-2012 08:04 AM

Aloha aweeby,

Yes, I've stopped by and talked with Jojo and Rina. I picked some up from them. I lost one (Eriocaulons Kimberly) because of my ignorance. The other two that I picked up from them (sorry, I can't remember the species) are doing really well. As a matter of fact, one of them is starting to split.

I bought 4 from the SnS section and half of them are doing well (Eriocaulongs Parkeri). The other two, (Eriocaulons Goias) died within a day of receiving them. I'm also ordering a couple more Eriocaulon to help complete my 'scape.

I was hoping to find others here in Hawaii that might have Erios that occasionally come up for sale. I cannot guarantee that I can successfully split the erios, but if I do, I'd be willing to trade/sell!

Mahalo!
BikerCarl

Yamaz 11-15-2012 12:58 AM

Erios require soft water....you need a r/o unit or get water from kapolei

bikercarl 11-15-2012 06:45 AM

Aloha Yamaz!

Water from Kapolei, huh? Maybe I'll have to start bringing a water jug to work and bring some home! Do you know why the Kapolei water is soft as compared to other areas on O'ahu?

Mahalo for the insight!
BikerCarl

iscerus 11-15-2012 07:40 AM

Per the Hawaii Board of Water Supply:
The Board of Water Supply (BWS) has acquired lands for the Kapolei brackish and Kalaeloa seawater desalination plants and has conducted pilot testing of ultra filtration and reverse osmosis membranes at both sites. The desalination plants are feasible, but are on hold because water conservation efforts have extended Oahu's groundwater supplies.

bikercarl 11-15-2012 04:50 PM

Aloha iscerus,

Mahalo for the heads up! Didn't know that they were doing the desalination plants out in Kapolei! I'll have to look into that!

BikerCarl

ADA 12-13-2012 07:07 AM

Aloha

I have some Erios.. do you have anything to trade?

bikercarl 12-13-2012 05:37 PM

Aloha ADA

Aloha from Hawaii!

ADA, are you located here in Hawaii? Also, what types of erios do you have available? I don't have much to trade right now, but I will PM you.

Mahalo!
BikerCarl

bikercarl 01-04-2013 10:25 PM

Aloha ADA,

Check your mailbox, PM sent.

BikerCarl