The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Low Tech Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   your nicest low tech low light nano setups? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196405)

plantastic37 11-06-2012 09:38 PM

your nicest low tech low light nano setups?
 
Need aquascaping live stock ideas. TY.

Matt1977 11-07-2012 01:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hygrophila corymbosa
Anubias nana
Echinodorus amazonicus
Anubias barteri
Cryptocory​ne wendtii tropica
Banana Lily
Micro-Sword Grass
Rotala Macrandra (red)

But the red plants need bright|intense light. My tank is in a room with bright ambient sunlight. And I dose Flourish Carbon religiously.

plantastic37 11-07-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt1977 (Post 2069904)
Hygrophila corymbosa
Anubias nana
Echinodorus amazonicus
Anubias barteri
Cryptocory​ne wendtii tropica
Banana Lily
Micro-Sword Grass
Rotala Macrandra (red)

But the red plants need bright|intense light. My tank is in a room with bright ambient sunlight. And I dose Flourish Carbon religiously.

Gorgeous! Good work! Wish I could do something like this but do not have access to ambient sunlit room.

TY for sharing!

houseofcards 11-07-2012 04:15 PM

When you say lowlight do you mean no light? Does your room have a window?

orchidman 11-07-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plantastic37 (Post 2070425)
Gorgeous! Good work! Wish I could do something like this but do not have access to ambient sunlit room.

TY for sharing!

you should be able to do it still. ive grown macrandra in low light before, it just doesnt get quite as red, more of a reddish brown on the tips, and the rest is greener.

here is mine..going for a minimalistic look here

flora: Anubias barteri 'Micro' (leaves the size of pencil erasers) and Eleocharis 'Belem'
fauna: Black orchid crowntail betta

I havent gotten a high quality photo of the tank since i added the Hairgrass, sorry. took these with my phone (still fighting a little diatoms at the time of the pic)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8187/8...ef22120e_c.jpg
mms_picture.jpg 2 by orchidman10, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8466/8...a49494b8_c.jpg
mms_picture.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

here is the betta

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8435/7...8910e701_c.jpg
avatar by orchidman10, on Flickr

and a high quality pic before the haigrass http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8177/7...1d9a4c0b_c.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

GMYukonon24s 11-07-2012 04:21 PM

Nice setups!

orchidman 11-07-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt1977 (Post 2069904)
Hygrophila corymbosa
Anubias nana
Echinodorus amazonicus
Anubias barteri
Cryptocory​ne wendtii tropica
Banana Lily
Micro-Sword Grass
Rotala Macrandra (red)

But the red plants need bright|intense light. My tank is in a room with bright ambient sunlight. And I dose Flourish Carbon religiously.

i love your Edge! its awesome! its seems nice and bright, open and clean, but also dense and healthy! it looks great!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s (Post 2070446)
Nice setups!

thanks!

Matt1977 11-07-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orchidman (Post 2070438)
you should be able to do it still. ive grown macrandra in low light before, it just doesnt get quite as red, more of a reddish brown on the tips, and the rest is greener.

here is mine..going for a minimalistic look here

flora: Anubias barteri 'Micro' (leaves the size of pencil erasers) and Eleocharis 'Belem'
fauna: Black orchid crowntail betta

I havent gotten a high quality photo of the tank since i added the Hairgrass, sorry. took these with my phone (still fighting a little diatoms at the time of the pic)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8187/8...ef22120e_c.jpg
mms_picture.jpg 2 by orchidman10, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8466/8...a49494b8_c.jpg
mms_picture.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

here is the betta

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8435/7...8910e701_c.jpg
avatar by orchidman10, on Flickr

and a high quality pic before the haigrass http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8177/7...1d9a4c0b_c.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

Correct. You can still grow macranda in low light... Or stock lights. There are so many great low light plants.. Ask a few q's at the LFS but research their answers... My trick is if the plants look lush and healthy at the LFS then ill give it a go...

orchidman 11-07-2012 08:41 PM

sometimes the Lfs near here will unknowingly sell plants that are not aquatic, such as mondo grass. its no the fault of the emplyee, they dont know the difference, but the store for not educating them. so be careful about stuff like that.

andrewss 11-07-2012 09:31 PM

awesome black orchid :D (and tank)

AirstoND 11-07-2012 10:10 PM

Matt1977: What substrate are you using?

wheatiesl337 11-07-2012 10:52 PM

Low-light, no ferts. Excel dosed during transition from dry-start to flooded, but have since ceased dosing.
Planted with crpyts and anubias.
Dirt substrated capped with blasting sand.
I don't think it gets much more low-tech than this:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...luval_002c.jpg

plantastic37 11-07-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheatiesl337 (Post 2070797)
Low-light, no ferts. Excel dosed during transition from dry-start to flooded, but have since ceased dosing.
Planted with crpyts and anubias.
Dirt substrated capped with blasting sand.
I don't think it gets much more low-tech than this:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pH...luval_002c.jpg

Kudos! Very nice tank! Question is the lighting stock? No Co2? This is something like what I would like to achieve!

ReluctantHippy 11-07-2012 11:22 PM

My 2 5g killi tanks. Zero dosing and just 12w of LED above the two.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-U...0/IMG_2487.JPG

Not the best picture with the tannins in the water but hope it helps.

wheatiesl337 11-07-2012 11:32 PM

The lighting is not the stock halogens, but edges come with LED's stock now I believe. I am using 2x LED units that plug right into the existing fixture. Got them for about $6 each on amazon.

Zero c02 injection.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.