The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (
-   DIY (
-   -   Reconstructing a 40 breeder (

TaDoey 11-05-2012 03:11 AM

Reconstructing a 40 breeder
Hello TPT peeps. I've been looking for a cheap alternative to an ADA tank and I thought about derimming a 40b as I like the dimensions. I snooped around forum and assaulted the search function, but people always said it would be tricky. That there was a very high possibility it would just fail. So I though hmm maybe I could take apart the tank, I mean like down to only panes of glass, and then use stronger silicone to reseal the tank. And I also have a 30g tank that has a broken side that I could use for corner braces. So is it possible? If it is would you guys be interested in a step by step journal. I'm still clearly a noob and I could use your help, but if it does fail it'll only cost be maybe $50.

GraphicGr8s 11-05-2012 03:42 AM

I have this funny feeling that you won't get a stronger silicone than what a manufacturer of tanks will get. In fact the opposite might have more truth to it.

Hoppy 11-05-2012 04:08 AM

From that, if your 40B tank glass is 6 mm or thicker you can remove the rim and it should be safe, with a safety factor of 2.5.

TaDoey 11-05-2012 10:17 PM

Thanks Hoppy

monkeyruler90 11-15-2012 07:43 PM

you can do it,
its really easy

a year ago my tank broke and I was left with the side panes and the bottom pane. I had to buy a special silicone that was pretty strong, it was pretty cheap too. The panes of glass were also really cheap.

here's my rebuild thread