The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Planted Nano Tanks (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Introduction and my fluval SPEC V (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=196162)

edjonaso 11-04-2012 06:34 PM

Introduction and my fluval SPEC V
 
Hi everyone,


First of all, i'd like to introduce myself. I just got into this hobby about a month ago following my dad's step. I just got my diploma in graphic design last year, and I'm currently taking Independent Illustration program which is interesting and crazy at the same time. I've also been keeping reptiles for a couple of years now.

I saw this tank at a local pet shop, and i finally gave in because i thought the size is perfect for work desk. I got some java moss from the same place (really bad moss), fluval stratum and malaysian driftwoods.

I wasn't happy with my first setup and decided to rescape it after just a week. This time i visited a dedicated aquascaping store (aqua inspiration, Toronto) and i got some plants, ohko stones, and netlea aquasoil and I'm quite happy with my second setup. I didn't really put much thought into my layout, i was basically just going for hardscape/iwagumi kind of style, and i didn't want to spend too much time researching reference for specific layout. So i was basically just improvising a bit :redface:

It's been going for about 3 weeks now and last week i put in two amano shrimps. One of them decided to jump out and i found it near my apartment front door, the other one seem to be doing ok, but i don't see it out that often.

After a lot of thinking, i've also decided to make this a semi high-tech tank because my plan of getting a second tank is not doable with the current workload. My finnex fugeray arrived two days ago and I'm very happy with it
so far.My atomic paintball CO2 regulator from GLA is also on it's way.

I also need help IDing the plants, because i was being stupid and wrote down the names on the receipt when i was at the store, and accidentally threw it away so yeah... :icon_redf


Some pictures:

First setup

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/Cewink/1-1.jpg


Second setup

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/Cewink/3-1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/Cewink/5.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/Cewink/6.jpg


Need help IDing these plants

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/Cewink/8.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/Cewink/9.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/Cewink/10.jpg



Thanks for looking! :)

Ebi 11-04-2012 07:34 PM

2. is definitely mini pellia! :) nice scape

edjonaso 11-04-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebi (Post 2067371)
2. is definitely mini pellia! :) nice scape

Thanks! :smile:

deleted_user_17 11-04-2012 09:21 PM

The rescape definitely worked - love the rocks

Good luck with the tank :)

edjonaso 11-09-2012 06:00 PM

Goodies have arrived! will post update in the next couple of days once the system is running. The atomic V2 regulator is heavier than i thought, but thats a good thing :smile:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/Cewink/11.jpg


I added just a little bit of ludwigia brevipes to the back of the tank near the pearl weed, hopefully it'll grow. I also got 4 more amano shrimps, these guys seem a lot healthier than my previous ones, they cleaned up the leaves of my anubias in just one night, they're all green and shiny now :)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/Cewink/12.jpg


cheers

sunyang730 11-09-2012 06:30 PM

how did you attach your mini pellia ? looks really nice. Got a ancient feel. LOL

andrewss 11-10-2012 05:54 PM

great start :D

chou 11-10-2012 06:45 PM

is that the stock light for the spec v?

edjonaso 11-10-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunyang730 (Post 2072935)
how did you attach your mini pellia ? looks really nice. Got a ancient feel. LOL

I just stuck the mini pellia to the stones without anything, due to the shape and surface of the stones, it's quite easy to push the mini pellia into the tiny holes on the stones and it'll stay.


Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewss (Post 2073974)
great start :D

thank you sir!



Quote:

Originally Posted by chou (Post 2074042)
is that the stock light for the spec v?

it's not, that's a 16" Finnex Fugeray.

Naisi 11-10-2012 09:30 PM

Great tank, I just got one myself and have been all over the internet looking for a light upgrade. You say your's will put you in the semi-high light range? And do you think it will have the power for a HC carpet? With co2 and ferts of course.

edjonaso 11-11-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naisi (Post 2074191)
Great tank, I just got one myself and have been all over the internet looking for a light upgrade. You say your's will put you in the semi-high light range? And do you think it will have the power for a HC carpet? With co2 and ferts of course.



I'd say mine is probably around medium light range, i did say this tank is semi high tech because i end up adding pressurized CO2 system.

before i went with fugeray, i was actually considering of getting 16" Finnex Ray II instead, but it seems like the light is a bit too much for me. My intention is to make this tank a low-medium light setup, with CO2 supplement, nothing too crazy yet, as this is my first tank after all.

I have no experience with carpet plant yet, but i do know if you go Ray II with a spec V you should be able to grow anything, just be ready to deal with the algae as well :smile:

these posts might help

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...&highlight=Ray

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...&highlight=led

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=189944






cheers

andrewss 11-11-2012 06:30 AM

the rock scape is real nice... im assuming the ohko stone was used, looks good for color contrast with the dark aquasoil, only thing I was thinking is a bit more sloping in the aquasoil could look good

but yeah great spec v - I have one but it is very lowtech however I have been able to sustain low demanding plants tho it would be sweet to have co2 at my disposal :D


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.