The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Low Tech Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   CO2 or not with Low Tech (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195628)

Jim_PA 10-29-2012 11:33 PM

CO2 or not with Low Tech

I am switching my tank from High Tech to Low Tech, but I seem to be getting lots of thoughts some saying I should keep CO2 and cut back light & ferts while others say just to get rid of the CO2. What everyone thoughts on this?

Fishies_in_Philly 10-29-2012 11:42 PM

well, the term low tech, does kind of relate to not having very many high tech add ons, like co2 and high output lighting. it's your tank, do whatever you feel is right to keep your flora/fauna happy. :)

ddrfreak_tung 10-30-2012 12:03 AM

for me, i like having co2 in my non fert low light moss tank to lower the ph since mine's quite high. But im just using the standard 2 liter diy co2.

Jim_PA 10-30-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddrfreak_tung (Post 2061240)
for me, i like having co2 in my non fert low light moss tank to lower the ph since mine's quite high. But im just using the standard 2 liter diy co2.

If I am to keep CO2 going then would I still want to make it so my drop checkers turn green? Or would I want way less CO2 going into the tank?

devilduck 10-30-2012 04:22 PM

I don't think you need a drop checker with DIY co2, mine never changes color.

Jim_PA 10-30-2012 06:08 PM

Yeah that the thing, mine is not DIY, it high pressure, with reactor

ddrfreak_tung 10-30-2012 08:41 PM

then turn it down to half or even a fourth of what you were running, any co2 to me is better than nothing.

Gabez 10-30-2012 09:16 PM

keep the co2 , it allows the plant to re purpose cells used for co2 absorption to be used for light and nutrient absorption. I think tom barr had a link for this study.

Razorworm 10-31-2012 12:20 AM

Jim Jim JIm JIM....loose the co2 and see what you can grow!!!!!!! Go back to the co2 later.

oliver77 10-31-2012 02:05 AM

I also ditched my DIY co2, and having low tech plants..

so happy now. i don't even dose ferts

Dave-H 10-31-2012 02:12 AM

I also ditched my CO2 and went back to low-light. No ferts, no nothing. Just happy fish and happy plants. The plants grow slowly, but they seem pretty healthy to me and the look great.

I have been toying with the idea of turning back on the CO2, since I still have the whole setup (whole system for sale if anyone in Denver is looking). But, I don't want to put too much or my neocardina shrimp will stop breeding, and I'm starting to wonder what the point of adding CO2 would be.

If the plants grow a bit faster that doesn't really help me at all. There is nominal algae in the tank, and no problems that CO2 would fix.

So, now that it's been a few months I am pretty sure I just want to get rid of the CO2 and be done with it.

HypnoticAquatic 10-31-2012 03:00 AM

really just depends on what ur looking to get out of ur tank? no info on that . . . if i had another co2 i would still throw it on a low light tank just a little extra co2 really helps, but its all up to what you want out of it and whats in it ect ect. are u tryin to just go for low tech no co2 an any "fancy" things or just low light? low light doesnt have to be low tech.

urbguy 10-31-2012 03:37 AM

Jim, I'm in the same boat as you. It's a big change but I came across this and thought it'd be pretty interesting. So, have you heard of the Low-Tech Excel method? Here's a link to a site explaining the low-tech with a substitute for CO2 approach.

http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...-planted-tank/

Matt1977 10-31-2012 05:29 AM

Yep, I ditch DIY CO2 as awell and just dosed with Flourish Carbon...
But its your tank... Gosh if only I had a proper Co2 system :)

Jim_PA 10-31-2012 04:14 PM

Thanks everyone for the reply's
My goals...
Have a nice planted tank, low maint.
Use Less Ferts if any
Use Less CO2
Avoid doing water changes every week (if I can)
Already have one child that 2 and a 2nd on the way, time is going to be limited. The CO2 system I have now is very high tech, high pressure, dual strage reg, with huge reactor and 20 lbs CO2 tank.

Most critical goal? Have wife stop yelling at me for working on the tank too much and also making a mess of the living room. ha ha