The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tank Journals (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Hunter's First Shrimp Tank (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195022)

HunterX 10-24-2012 02:12 AM

Hunter's First Shrimp Tank

6 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone! Thanks for taking a second to look at my first shrimp tank.

All I have now is low grade Cherry's thanks to Soothing Shrimp.

I'll post more later. Just wanted to get a few pictures up now.

Soothing Shrimp 10-24-2012 01:43 PM

Looks like they are really enjoying your planted scape!

GMYukonon24s 10-24-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp (Post 2054812)
Looks like they are really enjoying your planted scape!

I agree.

Nice growth, what plants do you have in there?

StraightAddicted 10-29-2012 12:04 AM

Beautiful tank man, let me know when you get some extra moss you need to sell. Keep up the hard work!

HunterX 10-29-2012 12:25 AM

Hello everyone. Sorry this weekend got real busy.

It's time I took a min and updated at least what plants I have and then I have a few questions.

Fauna:
Forgbit - Love it in this tank!
Anubias - It's in the back corner attached to the DW. You can't really see it because the moss has really grown out.
Moss - I'm not sure what type. I bought it a long time ago and it has been in another tank. Believe it or not the moss is tied to some cholla(SP) wood. It has totally engulfed it. Maybe someone can tell me what it is if they know what it is?
Bacopa Caroliniana - in the back right corner. For some reason in this tank it is turning red. Don't know why but I love it!
Baby Tears covers the front right. It's not the dwarf kind. It's much easier to grow. It's time for a trim actually.

Question:

Over the last week I have had three shrimp deaths. It looks like it was from a bad molt. Keep in mind this is my first shrimp tank so I'm not sure what a bad molt is. But it looks like they have a crack on the back of their shell like the were trying to molt but didn't.
It seams that something in my tank is lowering the GH. I have be using distilled water from the supermarket and remineralizing it with MMP. I get the GH to about 8 and then in a few days it's back down around 5. I have my TDS up to about 230 trying to keep in at 8. Any ideas to why this is happening or am I just crazy.

Thanks everyone.

HunterX 10-29-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StraightAddicted (Post 2059950)
Beautiful tank man, let me know when you get some extra moss you need to sell. Keep up the hard work!

Thank you. I need to trim it soon. When I do you can just have what I trim if you pay for the shipping!

StraightAddicted 10-29-2012 12:59 AM

Sounds great, what moss is it? I got two pieces of driftwood that would love it :)

HunterX 10-29-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StraightAddicted (Post 2060007)
Sounds great, what moss is it? I got two pieces of driftwood that would love it :)

I really don't know. Shame on me I know. LOL I've had it for a while. I got it when I first started tanks about 9 months ago and can't remember what type it is.

PRSRocker3390 10-29-2012 06:46 AM

Tank looks awesome! Do you have any pics of how you modded the filter area or a more detailed description? You told me about it briefly in my journal and I was curious what exactly you did because it sounded great.

HunterX 10-29-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRSRocker3390 (Post 2060328)
Tank looks awesome! Do you have any pics of how you modded the filter area or a more detailed description? You told me about it briefly in my journal and I was curious what exactly you did because it sounded great.

Thanks Rocker. Check out the below thread. It explains everything I did. If you still have questions let me know!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=195223

StraightAddicted 10-29-2012 04:14 PM

That's okay that you don't know which moss it is. I would research it when I could take a better look at it. Or you could post it in the plants section and ask for some help ID'ing it.

HunterX 11-02-2012 01:40 PM

Got some IAL for the shrimp tank. What all do they do exactly? It's my understanding they help lower the ph. If thats all the do I will just put them in the back of the filter. But if the shrimp actually feed on them I will move them to tank its self.

HunterX 11-05-2012 12:48 PM

I think I finally have the tank at parameters the shrimp like. I haven't had a death in a week and I have a barried shrimp. She is pretty young so I don't think she will carry them full term but I'm excited she is comfortable enough to become barried.

Green_Flash 11-05-2012 09:51 PM

IAL supposedly have antibacterial and anti fungal benefits too.

great little tank!

HunterX 11-05-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green_Flash (Post 2068535)
IAL supposedly have antibacterial and anti fungal benefits too.

great little tank!

I didn't know that. Thank you.