The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Lounge & Introductions (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Member Ranking?? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=194453)

Bubba Shrimp 10-19-2012 02:48 AM

Member Ranking??

I am wonder how do you rank up in the member ranks?:confused1:

tylergvolk 10-19-2012 03:38 AM

As far as I know, its the more posts you have the higher you rank.

kevmo911 10-19-2012 04:01 AM

Are you talking about the silly little title under our names? Yeah, it changes a few times at a certain number of posts. But at some pretty low post number, it's customizable. I've been a Plant Clown for the last 3000 posts or so.

PlantedRich 10-19-2012 02:56 PM

It's one of those small things that never pays to watch too closely. It does not indicate any level of knowledge that I can see. More an indication of how much time is wasted! As a person who has lived his entire life with a very awkward name, I learned early that what you are called has little importance!

Silmarwen 10-19-2012 03:00 PM

The little title-thing matters less than the username/icon combo when I'm looking at info to know who I'm talking to, honestly. I'll occasionally glance at post count if the person seems to be very knowledgeable, but number of posts really don't matter. Like PlantedRich says, it's more an indicator of time wasted than actual contribution.

IWANNAGOFAST 10-19-2012 03:03 PM

the "title" changes with the number of posts, and you can customize it if you become a paid member (bronze, silver, etc)

GraphicGr8s 10-19-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silmarwen (Post 2049013)
The little title-thing matters less than the username/icon combo when I'm looking at info to know who I'm talking to, honestly. I'll occasionally glance at post count if the person seems to be very knowledgeable, but number of posts really don't matter. Like PlantedRich says, it's more an indicator of time wasted than actual contribution.

Time spent here is never wasted. It's valuable learning time.

Silmarwen 10-19-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s (Post 2049026)
Time spent here is never wasted. It's valuable learning time.

That's a fair assessment of this forum, I suppose. But I haven't been here long enough to erase my experiences in other forums, where most of my time really was spent wasted.

Perhaps I should rephrase.

Post-count here seems to be, in my opinion, more of a factor of length of time one has been a member. There are few ways to significantly spam your pc higher, since there are no real 'forum games' (like the 3-word-game, or anything like that.) Since most people's posts are either informative, inquisitive, or complimentary/constructively critical of tanks, a very high post count indicates that one has either, a) asked a lot of questions, b) given a lot of answers, or c) commented and discussed a lot of tanks.

Since I feel like c is probably the bulk of the posts on the forum, I feel they are something of a time-sucker. One does not NEED to comment/compliment/criticize/suggest anything about another's tank in order to get any information they need on CO2/ferts/lighting/etc on here. THerefore, in my experience, a high post count indicates time "wasted." That is not to say that it does not provide enjoyment or enrichment of experience, just that it's not necessary time spent.

...Okay, I'm done. :icon_redf

NWA-Planted 10-19-2012 03:41 PM

I would rather spend my time here than doing my job haha

Sent from a dark corner in my happy place

PlantedRich 10-19-2012 05:11 PM

The number of people posting when they actually should be working was what made me term it, "wasted". My wife is currently in the yard "wasting" time the way she chooses and I am here "wasting time".

abc 02-11-2013 11:13 PM

resurrecting the thread. has anyone noted what the magic number is for each rank?

I feel like I have been an algae grower forever. Thought 100 was the magic number for the next rank/title but is it 200? It would be fun to see what the different ranks were and how many posts it took to achieve each rank.

total waste of time, I know, but just curious. :bounce:

Bubba Shrimp 02-12-2013 12:29 AM

I think it's 125 or 150 then you go to Planted Member

oldpunk78 02-12-2013 12:48 AM

^ Eh... I don't think that matters. Mine still says "newbie".

Darkblade48 02-12-2013 02:10 AM

Hmm, mine says "moderator" for some reason ;)

To be honest, I don't even know how to change it...*shrug* I don't think it really matters, nor does post count.

GraphicGr8s 02-12-2013 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkblade48 (Post 2515290)
Hmm, mine says "moderator" for some reason ;)

To be honest, I don't even know how to change it...*shrug* I don't think it really matters, nor does post count.

Send me lots of money and I'll tell you how.