The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   OMG! Preggers Shrimpy! -- Pics Added 10/18 ! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=194264)

SpecGrrl 10-17-2012 05:38 PM

OMG! Preggers Shrimpy! -- Pics Added 10/18 !

*practically fainting*

I'm not ready to be a grandma!

I guess I'd better do a water change today, bc once they hatch I'll have to wait a while!

Also, new stock coming (I was advised to bring in some genetic variation, in case the first batch were closely related) today or tomorrow.

ravensgate 10-17-2012 06:09 PM

Watch out on the water changes, you can induce molting and if a berried momma molts she can lose those eggs and die (since it would be a premature molt). Now I say this and I'm doing 100% water changes daily on my little ill berried OEBT and this is day 10 of doing that. BUT it is something you want to keep in the back of your mind. Get your new water as close as possible to what's in the tank, and make it either the exact same temp or a degree warmer (colder temp water is what generally induces molting besides change of parameters). Other than that CONGRATS!

acitydweller 10-17-2012 06:18 PM

Jaime's shrimp is the exception to the rule. its born out of titanium and bulletproof :)

if you must do a water change, do smaller volumes over several days to minimize the impact... having said that, i just did a 60% change with berried CBS and PFR's last night. haha... the water was exceeding 250ppm tds so i brought it back down to 130. everyone's still berried this morning but its just something to be careful of. I know most of the TDS is likely due to my overfeeding and waste.

p.s.
congrats on being a grandma!

cantsay39 10-17-2012 07:19 PM

~.~ i had a feeling i have magic water.. >.< closely monitored.. never hit ppm 190 above.. >.< like all shrimp tanks i have moss.. marimo balls ..

Elppan 10-17-2012 08:14 PM

Yaaaaaay! I can't wait till I get my first baby shrimps! I keep looking and hoping they've magically grown overnight and will start popping out babies lol. Sadly reality doesn't work that fast.

Overgrowth 10-17-2012 10:04 PM

I just found my first berried CRS yesterday, and I think I found a second one today. It's always exciting to see the eggs!

SpecGrrl 10-17-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acitydweller (Post 2046722)
Jaime's shrimp is the exception to the rule. its born out of titanium and bulletproof :)

if you must do a water change, do smaller volumes over several days to minimize the impact... having said that, i just did a 60% change with berried CBS and PFR's last night. haha... the water was exceeding 250ppm tds so i brought it back down to 130. everyone's still berried this morning but its just something to be careful of. I know most of the TDS is likely due to my overfeeding and waste.

p.s.
congrats on being a grandma!

Pot kettle!

SpecGrrl 10-17-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elppan (Post 2046828)
Yaaaaaay! I can't wait till I get my first baby shrimps! I keep looking and hoping they've magically grown overnight and will start popping out babies lol. Sadly reality doesn't work that fast.

That anticipation is so bittersweet!

Antici...

SpecGrrl 10-17-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overgrowth (Post 2046971)
I just found my first berried CRS yesterday, and I think I found a second one today. It's always exciting to see the eggs!

Congrats!

SpecGrrl 10-17-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsay39 (Post 2046776)
~.~ i had a feeling i have magic water.. >.< closely monitored.. never hit ppm 190 above.. >.< like all shrimp tanks i have moss.. marimo balls ..

My Max TDS to date has been 188 after a week of no WC.

SpecGrrl 10-17-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravensgate (Post 2046712)
Watch out on the water changes, you can induce molting and if a berried momma molts she can lose those eggs and die (since it would be a premature molt). Now I say this and I'm doing 100% water changes daily on my little ill berried OEBT and this is day 10 of doing that. BUT it is something you want to keep in the back of your mind. Get your new water as close as possible to what's in the tank, and make it either the exact same temp or a degree warmer (colder temp water is what generally induces molting besides change of parameters). Other than that CONGRATS!

Oh dear god.

What have I done?!?

I changed 20% before I read this post!

Overgrowth 10-17-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpecGrrl (Post 2046982)
Oh dear god.

What have I done?!?

I changed 20% before I read this post!

The shrimp will most likely hold on to the eggs, cause RCS aren't too finicky about their water conditions.

SpecGrrl 10-17-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overgrowth (Post 2046987)
The shrimp will most likely hold on to the eggs, cause RCS aren't too finicky about their water conditions.

Oh good!

I just saw her and she is still stuffed w/ them!

ravensgate 10-17-2012 10:34 PM

When I did the 80% change on my OEBT/Supreme tank yesterday there were 4 berried Supremes in there. There are still 4 berried Supremes. Plus, if they're going to drop them it's going to be the next day, not just a couple of hours after a change, typically anyway. I'm sure they'll be fine. First time mothers can drop them just because they don't have the art of holding them down pat so if this is a young shrimp and her first time being berried don't be surprised if she drops them (and she probably would have water change or not).

deleted_user_17 10-17-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpecGrrl (Post 2046677)
*practically fainting*

I'm not ready to be a grandma!

I guess I'd better do a water change today, bc once they hatch I'll have to wait a while!

Also, new stock coming (I was advised to bring in some genetic variation, in case the first batch were closely related) today or tomorrow.

:) congrats!