The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Planted Nano Tanks (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Conflicted about 2.5 gallon (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=194213)

Robotponys 10-17-2012 02:27 AM

Conflicted about 2.5 gallon

I will be getting a 2.5 gallon hopefully soon. I can't decide between these two stocking options! Help? Any suggestions would be great!

-m/f dario dario
-CPD's or micro rasboras
-shrimp and snails

-pea puffer, female preferably
-shrimp, depending on temperament

For both I want soil/peat/kitty litter capped with sand. I want a really fine sand that is actually soft, not the coarse stuff. What type of sand is cheap and fine?

Green_Flash 10-17-2012 02:34 AM

Shrimp, shrimp and more shrimp. :smile:

How about pool filter sand?

AVN 10-17-2012 02:40 AM

I like pea puffers and shrimp, although the shrimplets will be tasty snacks.

As for schooling fish, you would need to keep a small school, and it would have to be the only thing living in your 2.5

Keep the footprint small, as it's a small tank.

somewhatshocked 10-17-2012 02:57 AM

This:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVN (Post 2046071)
Keep the footprint small, as it's a small tank.

And remember that just because you can keep it in a small tank? Doesn't mean you should.

Puffers typically need 5-10gal at a minimum to thrive.

Even Boraras brigittae need more than 2.5gal, though they can certainly live and be okay in the tank. While a dozen of them would still look small in the tank, they do best with more swimming room.

Your best bet is shrimp.

R.sok 10-17-2012 10:12 AM

Go for the shrimp. I have 3 pea puffers in my 8 gallon & can't imagine how well it would work in a 2.5 gallon. Keep in mind I have random plants scattered & floating *not scaped really* so they can explore & also to get rid of there aggression

Silmarwen 10-17-2012 10:14 AM

Shrimp and snails :) They can be pretty and active and fun to watch, while still being 'OK' in the small footprint.

jbrady33 10-17-2012 11:09 AM

Another vote for shrimp and snails. My original plan for my 3 gallon was shrimp & small fish, but I added the shrimp first to let them grow a bit. Now that I've had them for a while, I've decided to keep it just shrimp and snails. The shrimp are so active when kept alone that you don't 'need' the fish, and their load is so small that a bunch can live and breed in there just fine with less maintenance than overstocking it with fish.

SpecGrrl 10-17-2012 12:05 PM

Shrimpies!

Amanos and some amazing colored neos.

If you want something bigger, dwarf Mexican crayfish -- bright orange!

Then some pink ramshorn snails.

Very colorful tank, variety of motion and behaviors and no sad fishies.

Robotponys 10-17-2012 07:35 PM

Sounds good to me actually! I would like crystal reds (cardinia) and fire reds (neos) together, though crystal's may be a bit out of my league. Also, are cpo's possible once the shrimp start breeding?