The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   i want to add fish (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=194120)

flesxruoyxllik 10-16-2012 05:46 AM

i want to add fish

you can see what im talking about at my youtube channel abassnamedhank

i have a 30 gallon long that i drained down to about 5 inches. left side is the dry part layered with bigger rocks covered in gravel covered in dirt with some grass growing. the right side is the wet part with a lot of java fern, a small rubens sword, a crypt, and something else that looks like a chain sword but its not.

currently housing 2 American bullfrogs raised from tadpoles there still juvinials now. no heater, temp stays around 74-76. using a 10 gallon rated filter.

ive tried feeding the frogs feeder fish by hand like most there food but they didnt take. so im thinking about puting some fish in the water. something that can handle shallow water. getting kicked by a frog on accident. nothing fragile. and cheap so its not a big deal if it does get eaten.

and dont tell me i need a bigger tank and blah blah blah ive already got one im just waiting for these guys to grow.

flesxruoyxllik 10-16-2012 05:52 AM

i forgot that i also wanted to add some ghost shrimp could i do that? should i put some java moss in there to?

flesxruoyxllik 10-17-2012 09:57 PM

just picked up 3 male fancy guppies and some feeder fish from petsmart, got a flat on the way home.
guppies have acclimated and look fine. decided to put a gold fish in there to.
if these do good maybe ill get some ghost shrimp next time or maybe a female guppy

Fishies_in_Philly 10-17-2012 11:44 PM

the frogs eventually WILL eat the fish. just because they won't take it from you now, doesn't mean they won't hunt them down and eat them. remember, they are still young. when they grow, their appetite will become voracious and will try to eat anything that will fit in their mouths, including your fingers....lol now, if you are planning on letting the guppies breed in there as feeders, then go for it, but eventually, they will eat the fish/shrimp.

flesxruoyxllik 10-18-2012 10:50 PM

yeah ive already been bit its pretty funny cuz it will dangle for a second.
what male female combo do you think would get a semisteady pop. of feeders

Fishies_in_Philly 10-19-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flesxruoyxllik (Post 2048356)
yeah ive already been bit its pretty funny cuz it will dangle for a second.
what male female combo do you think would get a semisteady pop. of feeders

I'd say guppies. But you don't want them to eat a steady diet of fish. That should only be a treat for them. I believe fish are too high in fat to be their steady diet. Not 100% sure. But i know they are high in something that would make it an unhealthy staple food.

flesxruoyxllik 10-20-2012 10:37 PM

do you think if i get 6 females 2 for every male would be good and maybe get one thats already prenant?

country max has feeder guppies will those breed faster?

i care more about numbers than colors and stuff.

Fishies_in_Philly 10-21-2012 02:06 AM

i have no clue. i've never bred guppies, sorry :(

bubbleguppy1981 11-05-2012 06:34 PM

guppies take a bout 30 days to breed, I have a batch of babies about every thirty days, and they need to be at least 4 days old before they are big enough that my betta doesn't snack on them, I end up with about 5 out of each batch of 20-30 fry.