The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   DIY (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Video: My DIY 3D Mayan themed aquarium with calendar and pyramid (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=194115)

thebouncingparty 10-16-2012 05:07 AM

Video: My DIY 3D Mayan themed aquarium with calendar and pyramid

What plants can i put in here that would be good for african cichlids and match my tank.

A video of my Mayan 3D aquarium background with calendar and pyramid. Fish coming soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmPJ...e_gdata_player

Soothing Shrimp 10-16-2012 05:13 PM

That is freakin' incredible! What did you use for the blue light?

thesawguy 10-16-2012 05:34 PM

I think you should forget about african chiclids and go with south american fish and totally jungle it out, plants climbind up the pyramid and so on.

AirstoND 10-16-2012 09:56 PM

1) Have you thought of carpeting with some low light/low maintenance plants?
2) Jungle vals along edge, but not in front of background
3) Some eerie moonlight, sacrifice altar and high priest with bloody hands and heart.
4) Riparium plant or two

thebouncingparty 10-17-2012 02:02 AM

Its a blue led bubbler. Don't remember the name but it wasnt from marineland. Now the red one id from marineland!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 2 via Tapatalk 2

thebouncingparty 10-17-2012 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirstoND (Post 2045804)
1) Have you thought of carpeting with some low light/low maintenance plants?
2) Jungle vals along edge, but not in front of background
3) Some eerie moonlight, sacrifice altar and high priest with bloody hands and heart.
4) Riparium plant or two

At this point i dont think i can plant having used cichlid sand for substrate but im pretty sold on african cichlids will all their colors.

reefboi16 10-17-2012 04:59 AM

It just looks weird to have African cichlids in a Mayan themed tank.

Sd760 10-17-2012 05:00 AM

Twow

reefboi16 10-17-2012 05:05 AM

Plenty of nice colors in South American fish also. Rams, Bolivian rams, apiatogrammas, rainbow cichlids, cockatoo cichlids, red star flower horns, salvini, green terrors..and the list goes on.

PinkRasbora 10-17-2012 07:43 AM

Wow nice tank.

Estimate on hours spend carving?

thebouncingparty 10-17-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkRasbora (Post 2046366)
Wow nice tank.

Estimate on hours spend carving?

Thats about four hours worth of carving.

TrogdorSlayer22 10-19-2012 02:17 AM

Mayan Cichlids? Jk, I know the tank is too small.

You didn't buy this off of Craigslist? I saw a similar one for sale around here not too long ago (actually maybe a few months or so).

I have to agree with AirstoND, at least that's what I would do.

But if you are stuck on Africans, then you would obviously have/want to go with the hardier plants, like anubias, "ferns", maybe jungle val, etc.

I'm pretty sure you know this, but with Africans, they prefer to have multiple hiding places (e.g. rocks).

thebouncingparty 10-24-2012 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrogdorSlayer22 (Post 2048612)

You didn't buy this off of Craigslist? I saw a similar one for sale around here not too long ago (actually maybe a few months or so).

I have to agree with AirstoND, at least that's what I would do.

But if you are stuck on Africans, then you would obviously have/want to go with the hardier plants, like anubias, "ferns", maybe jungle val, etc.

I'm pretty sure you know this, but with Africans, they prefer to have multiple hiding places (e.g. rocks).

No i was the one selling it on craigs lol didnt even get a bid smh. Was asking for $600 including everything... Lights, aquaclear 110 filters, 75 gallon tank, super nice stand, and custom background. Only text i got was from a drug dealer who said he found my background on ebay for $25 bucks smg go figure. After i finished it i fell in love with it! Cant sell it now for sure.

Basilisk 11-30-2012 07:00 AM

Just came across this. Looks great, but that is the Aztec calendar. The Mayan one looks very different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrogdorSlayer22 (Post 2048612)

I've caught Salvini and a Thorichthyis species just 1-2 miles from the Palenque ruins. It is worth noting that river is infested with nasty common plecos.

Amandas tank 11-30-2012 08:17 AM

Pretty cool! Anubias species would be good...and a bunch of rocks for the A. Cichlids to find territories/caves.

Attach the Anubias to the rocks and walla! Done ;)