The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Shrimp & Other Invertebrates (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   did my shrimp have babies???? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193843)

Razorworm 10-13-2012 11:52 PM

did my shrimp have babies????

I have a dozen cherry shrimp in a tank and after giving them a piece of zucchini I noticed a couple of baby shrimp...I think. I never noticed any of the shrimp being berried, so I am wondering if these are not shrimp but some type of amphipod or ???? There are scuds in the tank but these guys look exactly like shrimp, in fact one of them has some red coloration. Should I get the champagne or not????

DogFish 10-14-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorworm (Post 2042358)
I have a dozen cherry shrimp in a tank and after giving them a piece of zucchini I noticed a couple of baby shrimp...I think. I never noticed any of the shrimp being berried, so I am wondering if these are not shrimp but some type of amphipod or ???? There are scuds in the tank but these guys look exactly like shrimp, in fact one of them has some red coloration. Should I get the champagne or not????

Might be a bit soon for the Shrimp if these are from our team visit to the GCCA Swap. Of course you could of had a berried up girl in your bag. Scus do tend to zip around a lot more than baby shrimp. I'd keep feeding up close to the glass so you can see them better.

Mine colored up nice, I'm happy with them.

Razorworm 10-14-2012 12:24 AM

HAHA I was about to PM you. These are for sure not scuds and look just like shrimp.I saw one swimming, swims like a shrimp. Quacks like a duck.... My night cycle just started and I lost light. Mine colored up great too. real happy. I cant wait for morning. Crays are doing well too. I think they are Dwarf Cajuns

Razorworm 10-14-2012 12:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture

Razorworm 10-14-2012 12:33 AM

I have a few Amanos in there as well.

ravensgate 10-14-2012 12:34 AM

That's a baby shrimp. COuld have been a baby in with the batch that was too tiny to notice.

Razorworm 10-14-2012 12:39 AM

I counted three in a relativly short period of time.

DogFish 10-14-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorworm (Post 2042384)
I counted three in a relativly short period of time.

Sure she gave you a berried female, cool!

Razorworm 10-14-2012 01:04 AM

ha ha. Yeah well as I mentioned, I have Amanos in there as well...Anything is possible. I suppose we will know in a few weeks.

pinoyghost2 10-14-2012 10:19 AM

Amano's don't have live babies (have larvae)...either one of your cherries was berried and hid until she gave birth or you got a few tiny babies in the plants/moss that came in the bag if any, they have a habit of hiding in moss. Either way that's a nice baby cherry shrimp

Razorworm 10-14-2012 11:30 AM

Weird thing is, there was nothing but water in the bag with the shrimp. I drip acclimated them and then netted them into their new home. It has been two weeks today since they went in. If one was berried, could the eggs have hatched and the baby shrimp reach this point in developement so quickly?

SpecGrrl 10-14-2012 03:20 PM

It's a miracle!

Congratulations on your grand babies!