The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Fertilizers and Water Parameters (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Water change with a hose? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193788)

ADJAquariums 10-13-2012 02:13 PM

Water change with a hose?

Can i do a change with me just sticking the hose in the tank then adding conditioner after?

shrimpedout 10-13-2012 02:19 PM

You always want to add the dechlor before introducing new water.

1. Drain
2. Add dechlor (depending on how much you drained)
3. Add new water
4. Enjoy happy fish! :)

---
Get shrimped out!

oscarsx 10-13-2012 02:32 PM

I age my water and try to keep the temp fairly close to my tanks temp..

- oz

ADJAquariums 10-13-2012 03:56 PM

Alright, looks like buckets is the way to go then

shrimpedout 10-13-2012 04:15 PM

Aging water isn't really necessary because dechlor removes everything.

---
Get shrimped out!

houseofcards 10-13-2012 04:25 PM

I've added Prime (conditioner) as I suspect many do after the water starts running into the tank from a hose for the last five years without a problem.

shrimpedout 10-13-2012 04:34 PM

I add it before the new water hits the tank. It obviously doesn't matter if it's a little before or after I just wouldn't let it completely fill before adding Prime or other dechlor of your choice.

---
Get shrimped out!

Sotty 10-13-2012 04:39 PM

Not sure if it actually important or not, but if adding directly to tank it says to treat the entire tank volume rather than just the volume you are replacing.

" May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume." - from Seachem website

Oh and I should add, I have been doing this for years as well and never had an issue. I slowly fill over a few hours.

shrimpedout 10-13-2012 04:43 PM

That's what I do if I use the python. If I just use my one gallon jug ill pour Prime into the jug as it's filling with new water so its all nice a mixed up. (I do 3-5 drops per gallon)

---
Get shrimped out!

Diana 10-13-2012 04:45 PM

I have done water changes with a hose, direct fill from the tap, and I just add dechlor into the flow of incoming water. If it is a large water change, or a 'constant change' sort of event I know how much water is flowing from the hose (I have timed it) and I keep on dosing dechlor to stay ahead of the incoming water.

I have done really large water changes with the 'constant change' idea and dosing dechlor periodically with no problems.
I drain the tank just a few inches, then start the water coming in. Temperature adjusted at the tap. Then I keep on draining the tank, but refilling at the same time so the water level stays pretty close to the top, or a few inches down. Every few minutes I know to dose X amount of dechlor. I know the 'new' water is mixing with the 'old' water, and what I am removing has a certain % of old and new.
At the end, tank is topped off and I can test for chlorine and ammonia (Chloramines) and dose a bit more dechlor if needed.

Fish can tolerate a certain amount of chloramines. You can very slightly under dose dechlor and not have problems with most fish.
I top off tanks up to 10% of the volume without dechlor.
I can be a bit casual about the timing of when dechlor hits the tank.

Barbs (Including Goldfish) seem to be a bit more sensitive, so I usually err on the side of overdosing the tanks with these fish. Not by much, though. A severe overdose can lock up oxygen. Read the label: Most dechlor can be dosed at several times the basic dose to help with ammonia or other toxins, but there will often be a caution about maintaining good aeration.

shrimpedout 10-13-2012 04:49 PM

Is there an advantage to the constant change method? Just curious.

---
Get shrimped out!

HD Blazingwolf 10-13-2012 04:54 PM

i've built a "barr" device. someone may have come up with it sooner but he posted his picture

that's beside the point
it siphons the water out my front window and has a quick connect for my garden hose. water change in 3 minutes if i realyl wanna go that fast.. ADD DECHLOR FIRST
its not a necessity really to add it first, just a general good idea
chlorine takes time to kill, it works by burning the gills

plantbrain 10-13-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADJAquariums (Post 2042035)
Alright, looks like buckets is the way to go then

No, not unless the tank is small, eg, 20 gal or under. Then it's just easier to change with a bucket. I've used a hose to drain and refill my tanks for 35 years, never once have I had an issue. Marine tanks, you must pre mix and such, but not freshwater. Use hot/cold tap water blend, add dechlor, you are done.

I refill as fast as the water pressure coming out of the shower head will allow, same for all tanks. I'm not going to wait hours and get old and wander off ans forget and have a flooded floor.

Get it done and over with asap.

The Barr changer is something we used when I worked at the fish gallery 35 years ago, no clue who came up with it, made changing 85 twenty gallon tanks much easier. It's not "mine" by a long shot.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...changehook.jpg

I use a flexogen hose, they are pretty good and stay flexible.

HD Blazingwolf 10-14-2012 01:55 AM

LOL the barr hose i was talking about. mine is similar but not quite the same

Neatfish 10-14-2012 02:18 AM

The water won't be to cold coming out the water hose?