The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Planted Tank Discussion (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Purigen... Anyone know how to properly regenerate? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193570)

ccbeauch 10-11-2012 02:32 AM

Purigen... Anyone know how to properly regenerate?

So I bought some Purigen and within two days it needed to be Regenerated. I left it in the filter anyway for a few days more and now it is time to clean it up. I bought some bleach and some prime and some ph buffer. the two are seachem products.

Says soak for 24 hours in bleach, then 8 in prime, then 4 more in buffer. Is that what anyone else does or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks

deeda 10-11-2012 02:52 AM

I'd just follow the regeneration instructions from Seachem, as follows,

Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metalic container in a well ventilated area and away from children.
Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of ChlorGuard™, PrimeŽ, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water.
Rinse well.
Original color and full activity should now be restored and PurigenŽ is ready for reuse.

ccbeauch 10-11-2012 02:55 AM

Do I need to soak it in the final step for freshwater use as it says to put it in ph regulator for 4 hours? that was where I wasn't sure to use prime or to do the other thing or both.

deeda 10-11-2012 03:03 AM

According to the discussion forum on Seachem's website, they are no longer recommending using the pH regulator or buffer solution when recharging Purigen.

Here is a Link to the discussion.

In.a.Box 10-11-2012 03:06 AM

No need to go full 24 hr bleach soak.
10hr is fine or till its white again.

I like to let it air dry save prime.
I keep 2 per canister this way when one is being soak I pop the other one in.
The cycle go on n on.

discuspaul 10-11-2012 04:06 AM

Soak it in a 50/50 bleach-water solution for 24 hours, or as long as it takes to return the Purigen particles to their original white coloration.
Then rinse with fresh water several times, and let it sit in fresh 'conditioned' water until you're ready to use it again - no need for the buffer or any other steps.

Java Moss 10-11-2012 06:51 PM

The instructions provided or the suggestions above will work just fine. I keep it in my son's lo-tech 20L inside an Aquaclear 50 all the time. Plants do just fine, fish are happy, ZERO ALGAE and water is like glass. Have to regenerate maybe once every six months once all the beads get dark brown/black.

Great stuff.

ccbeauch 03-18-2013 02:23 AM

thanks for this. Mine stunk of bleech and that worried me so I tossed it. Figured 16$ wasn't worth the death of all my discus...

discuspaul 03-18-2013 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccbeauch (Post 2858786)
thanks for this. Mine stunk of bleech and that worried me so I tossed it. Figured 16$ wasn't worth the death of all my discus...

Sorry that it worked out that way for you. Don't know why or how.
I've kept discus for many years in planted tank environments, and have been using Purigen 24/7 in my discus tanks for several years straight.
Have re-charged Purigen up to 15 times with no ill effects, or no real loss of clarification & purification effectiveness.
Once the particles have returned to their normal white coloration after 24 hours in a 50/50 water/bleach solution, you simply have to rinse it well and let it sit in de-chlorinated tap water until you're ready to use it again - no problem.
Please do try it again.

mitchfish9 03-18-2013 04:04 AM

I am also attempting to recharge purigen right now but I am so paranoid that I still smell bleach even though I have rinsed it for days. Are the seachem directions 100% safe?

CoffeeLove 03-18-2013 04:11 AM

Re: Purigen... Anyone know how to properly regenerate?

Me personally, I soak in bleach until i decide it's white enough then i rinse in hot water then i soak it in water mixed with 3 caps of prime for a couple hours then i rinse and put it back into my filter.

---
I give my fish coffee :)

discuspaul 03-18-2013 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchfish9 (Post 2860130)
I am also attempting to recharge purigen right now but I am so paranoid that I still smell bleach even though I have rinsed it for days. Are the seachem directions 100% safe?

It should be absolutely no problem, Mitch.
If you've rinsed it for days, and you still smell bleach - then you have a superbly sensitive sense of smell - however, there should be no problem whatsoever.
The Seachem directions are certainly reliable. Don't worry about it.

CoffeeLove 03-18-2013 04:20 AM

Re: Purigen... Anyone know how to properly regenerate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by discuspaul (Post 2860218)
It should be absolutely no problem, Mitch.
If you've rinsed it for days, and you still smell bleach - then you have a superbly sensitive sense of smell - however, there should be no problem whatsoever.
The Seachem directions are certainly reliable. Don't worry about it.

Especially if you're using prime

---

discuspaul 03-18-2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoffeeLove (Post 2860282)
Especially if you're using prime

---

Exactly ! I Love it !

mitchfish9 03-18-2013 12:20 PM

Ok thanks discuspaul and coffeelove. I feel better now. I dont even know if bleach is what Im smelling lol