The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Plants (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Petsmart live plants (packets) thread (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193470)

stevenjohn21 10-10-2012 04:38 AM

Petsmart live plants (packets) thread

I know its been a few months now since Petsmart have been selling live plants in those packets. I was wondering if anyone has had great success with the likes of HC (and others that i cant remember what they sell)

Any pictures ? Before and afters would be great !

Mike1239 10-10-2012 04:53 AM

I haven't used them but look at them every time I go in and some if them look rough. I think if find out when they get new shipments in and get the freshest pack they will do as good as any plant you could buy elsewhere

CatB 10-10-2012 04:54 AM

i split some bacopa and crypts from those packages with a friend, mine have been growing great! just get the best looking (greenest, tallest, good roots) packages you can...

stevenjohn21 10-10-2012 05:11 AM

I already bought some HC a few weeks ago but i thought it would be intresting to see who has done what with there purchase.

Monster Fish 10-10-2012 05:42 AM

The only time I've seen those plant packets was when I went to the flagship Petco in Manhattan. The remaining living crypts were stuck in a solution that was part water gel, part melted crypts. Also, $7 for some half-dead crypts. Obviously I passed on them.

Edit: Meh. Misread the title. I haven't seen those Petsmart packet plants around. The only ones I've seen were the assorted ones placed next to the snails in the plexiglass tanks.

Neatfish 10-10-2012 05:55 AM

The bacopa I bought a while back has been growing good so far. I was looking around today and saw they had moss in little Betta cups now.

Andrew H 10-10-2012 06:31 AM

My DHG is still healthy.

CatB 10-10-2012 06:37 AM

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma...zv48o1_500.jpg
it's a crappy picture, but you can see what's become of the bacopa and crypts in my tank... for some reason the plants on the left are less inclined to explode with new growth, i think it's because of the flow from the filter.

this is a low tech tank, mind you. it had DIY CO2 but it kind-of stopped working... it's got T8 stock lighting, osmocote root tabs and a mesh bag of osmocote stuffed in the filter for fertilizer.
recently the bacopa grew so high that i had to trim about six inches off three of the stalks(? is that the correct term i don't know haha)... i'm really happy with them, and honestly surprised they grew this well.

freph 10-10-2012 06:39 AM

DHG (E. parvula) is healthy and growing fine. I actually have another bag beside my desk for when I redo the mini. I bought it last Thursday and it's still just as green and healthy.

Assassynation 10-10-2012 07:26 AM

Im gonna buy some for my edge as soon as my ada aquasoil system comes in. The Petsmart here has a few pacakges marked %50 off.

MichaelMcG 10-10-2012 07:33 AM

i just bought some of the alteranthera a couple days ago and planted it. anybody else got it growing?

jspk 10-10-2012 11:06 PM

I bought crypts and dhg in those packets. They're growing just fine in my tank.

JunJunJenn 10-10-2012 11:14 PM

can someone post a picture of these "packets" your talking about? I don't think I've seen them at my petsmarts

Steveboos 10-10-2012 11:22 PM

They are located on the Live Plant End-cap. They are $7.99 and we carry 7 different varieties depending on store. If i can recommend something to people, call your local Petsmart and ask when they get their fish shipment. Plants come in this shipment also. So for us in South Charlotte, it's Wednesday. We only stock 2-4 of each SKU at a time, so if you see the inventory getting low, then next fish shipment, snag some new healthy plants!

Also if you tell the manager on duty that the plants are dead and need to be thrown away and taken out of inventory, they will do so. Sometimes associates don't know when a plant is dead, but we sure do!

In.a.Box 10-10-2012 11:36 PM

All depend on what you do with the plant after you open it.
Best thing to do is plan ahead before you go n buy some plant.
Set up a QT dirt tank to plant them in and leave them alone for 1-2 week.
Wet muddy soil is best with light and a tight cover.