The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Low Tech Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Dwarf Sag, Jungle Val, DONE. Need advice on a SUPER low tech tank. (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193263)

Beakman 10-08-2012 04:42 AM

Dwarf Sag, Jungle Val, DONE. Need advice on a SUPER low tech tank.

I really do love the growth that I see in my dirted tanks.

What I don't love is having to uproot and replant runners (mainly jungle val) which sends the dirt flying all over my tank and lands in a messy layer on top of my sand substrate.

So for my next tank, I've been playing with the idea of doing a super low tech setup and wanted some advice or thoughts on how well this will work.

My ultimate goal is to have a nice thick carpet of dwarf sag with a nice thick background of jungle val. and thats all. 2 species of plants and probably 2 species of fish (angels and cardinals most likely).

I was really inspired by this tank
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/a...3/IMG_0053.jpg
posted by extrame in the low tech tank show and tell thread.

What I want to avoid is screwing up the substrate when I replant jungle val runners. So far I've come up with 2 ideas to prevent this from happening.

Method 1) Don't use dirt in the substrate. Go with plain old sand. This way I can move jungle val runners to the back, disturb the substrate as much as I want, and the tank will still have a nice clean look when everything settles down.

However, I'm wondering if I will see the same growth out of the sag/val if I don't use dirt.

Method 2) Find a way to stick a "partition" running lengthwise on the bottom near the back of the tank and plant all my jungle val behind that partition. This partition would only be as tall as the substrate so that you wouldn't be able to see it in the tank. The idea here is to block the jungle val runners from moving to the front of the tank. This way, I could still use dirt because I wouldn't have to worry about uprooting the runners.

I've never tried anything like I mentioned in method 2 and am wondering if there is a standard method of doing a partition like that.

So I would really appreciate anyones thoughts, advice, or ideas on how I can make this work.

Thanks!

steven p 10-08-2012 06:04 AM

Mmm. There are a handful of nice build journals here with pictures of what you want but I don't have any bookmarked right now.

starrlamia 10-08-2012 06:09 AM

Use a different substrate and root tabs, I would think that would work fine.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

BruceF 10-08-2012 11:55 AM

I had some dwarf sag growing in a tank and planted some crypts in pots to keep them seperate. The dwarf sag got into the pots anyway. I find it won't grow on a rock and so I use rocks in the places I don't want it. If nothing else the rocks make it easier to cut and prune the plants that grow under and beyond them. I imagine the partition would work well if you keep up the pruning. It just needs to be solid all the way down to the glass.
As for sand and dirt, I find the root mass is so thick that in the end it really doesn't matter. For pruning individual runners I find it is just a matter of being gentle and maybe leaving the filter off for a while to let things settle. Scissors and long tweezers help a lot.
I have also read that one should not grow sag and val together though that was many years ago. Innes claimed they were incompatable but that was a long time ago. I have never tried.

FORREST3320 10-14-2012 10:41 PM

I planed on nerly same tank setup in my 55 but using italian val or leperod vals thinner but I was going to put a layer of osmocote down then substarte then plant and after 3-4 months just put osmocote capsule down you can get 100 capsulce off amazon real cheap and just use the left over osmocote. Simple i have been using osmocote capsules in my 40 gallon and it is going great it is a very low tech tank well more like jungle lol