The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cheap dosing pump!! (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19319)

m.lemay 07-17-2005 10:29 PM

Cheap dosing pump!!

Check this out, its a vacuum operated pump that can be used for dosing.Tom Aqua Lifter I just ordered one to see how it works. I'll let you know. At $10 this might be the ticket.

Marcel

jmelnek 07-17-2005 11:49 PM

Good luck on that, it seems like this is very economical (does not happen very often with me and tanks). Keep us informed....

Josh

zapus 07-18-2005 12:14 AM

You can find some specs for this pump here. Just click Products, then Aqualifter.

m.lemay 07-18-2005 12:24 AM

Hey thanks for that spec page. I couldn't find the specs on it earlier. Now I need a digital timer that can be programmed in for second intervals. Any ideas?

Marcel

zapus 07-20-2005 12:22 AM

The volume figure for the Aqualifter is given as 0.22 liters / minute and the pressure as 30" (assumable, this is inches of water column). Most positive-pressure pump specs show a curve for volume plotted against head pressure (resistance). I should think that vacuum pumps would function in a similar fashion. I'm not sure if they're saying that it pumps .22 l/m @ 30" wc or if these are maximum figures for each, but I would guess the latter. I reckon a mite of experimentation is called for. Most of the Intermatic digital timers have a minimum interval of one minute, which would be a bit much (at .22 l) unless your tank evaporates as fast as mine seems to, but the actual flow rate may be substantially lower, which in this case might be a good thing.

plantbrain 07-20-2005 01:44 AM

An IV drip plus a solenoid is cheap.

Regards,
Tom Barr

m.lemay 07-20-2005 02:21 AM

1 minute seems to be the minimum on time for most timers I've seen. My75 evaporates about 3 gallons a week which is more than enough to make up for the .22liters/min.

A solenoid valve would work but then theres the problem of hiding the drip container as it has to be above the water mark. A decent solenoid valve had to be at least $20 last time I checked.

I'm gonna do some experimenting with the pump. I might also be able to regulate the flow with an airline valve to fine tune it a little. I'll let you guys know how this all pans out. At $9.99, I figured I'd give it a shot. My daily coffee habit cost more than that. :icon_bigg

Marcel

scolley 07-20-2005 02:28 AM

This is a pretty cool idea Marcel. I look forward to the results. And IMO a little flow control (like from Aquatic Ecosystems) could be just the ticket to slowing down that flow rate.

BOTIA 07-20-2005 03:27 AM

These were made for large overflows to stop air bubbles collecting in the upsdown U section thusly stopping the flow.
Botia

QUOTE=m.lemay]Check this out, its a vacuum operated pump that can be used for dosing.Tom Aqua Lifter I just ordered one to see how it works. I'll let you know. At $10 this might be the ticket.

Marcel[/QUOTE]

m.lemay 07-22-2005 11:00 PM

I just got the pump, took it out of the box, and I did some very preliminary testing. It's simple to change the flow rate by simply changing how much head pressure there is. Raise the source and get more flow lower the source and get less flow. At 50" head pressure it's like a drop per second. So the 1 minute minimum timer setting won't be a problem. A kalkawaser pump it's not, this thing is really dependent on head presure to getits flow rate. A preliminary tests shows it'll pump 250ml in 6 minutes @30" head pressure. and 500ml in 12 minutes.The one nice thing about it is that it has a built in back flow preventer so that when the power cuts off, the fluid in the tube doesn't back up.

Problem #1: The verticle distance from the stand floor to the the top of the tank is 56" . At that head pressure the flow is decreased considerably.

I'm doing another test with the actual head pressure this thing is gonna see and report back.

Marcel

shalu 07-22-2005 11:10 PM

Great idea. I might get a few of these if it works out for you. Is the pump noisy at all?

m.lemay 07-22-2005 11:29 PM

It's about as loud as a quality air pump. Actually it sounds just like an air pump and works the same way except its made to pump water.

m.lemay 07-22-2005 11:45 PM

500ml in 40 minutes at 52" head pressure, which is what my tank will typically see. I might be able to use this for topoff with a longer duration, if the pump doesn't burn out first. I'll be running some more experiments. They don't reccomend using this pump over 30"head pressure, but I think it's mainly because it doesn't pump much at that head pressure. I don't think the pump will burn out.

shalu 07-22-2005 11:49 PM

I forgot, the pump is only on for a short period on timer, so noise is not a problem :icon_bigg sounds like we are going to have cheap automated aquariums soon.

scolley 07-23-2005 01:13 PM

I don't suppose there is any way to rig this in-line is there?