The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians) (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   oriental fire belly newts (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193148)

Soothing Shrimp 10-07-2012 03:27 AM

oriental fire belly newts

So, I'm now looking into the possibility of oriental fire belly newts, have read care sheets, but still would like first hand experience.

I'm thinking a 2/3 water enclosure should be suitable with 1/3 land.

I'm guessing the water should have a filter + air pump.

Temps of water seem to be conflicting. Some say 60's, others say around 80F. I'm guessing 70's?

How many FB Newts am I able to put in a 20 gallon long?

How big food items are they able to eat?

Suggestions on low tech plants both submerged, and emersed?

bB.A.Baracus 10-07-2012 04:46 AM

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/salam...liednewt_2.htm

Seems like a decent care sheet. I've done a little reading about them, and I've never seen anything about temperatures as high as 80. Low temps seem to be what everyone agrees on.

Soothing Shrimp 10-07-2012 02:14 PM

I'll look at it, however I'm really hoping someone who has kept them can chime in.

The 80F was here: http://firebelliednewts.blogspot.com/, and in the comments section here: http://www.reptilechannel.com/frogs-...ied-newts.aspx

Aquaticz 10-07-2012 03:10 PM

80 degrees is absurd
Do a search on where they originate and then do some checking on the web. I have done this for any reptiles and amphibians. Most important is always is a clean habitat. Provide them with "cover" which is extremely important. Live food works just not to big.
Small crickets and worms. Never feed to much they do not eat like a cat or dog :-). Cycling should not be overlooked and find out if the species does anything close to hibernation. Why.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Soothing Shrimp 10-07-2012 03:13 PM

good advice aquaticz.

I didn't know cycling was important for amphibs.

babydragons 10-07-2012 04:40 PM

My boyfriend was keeping them for a while. They definitely like lower temps

Soothing Shrimp 10-07-2012 04:52 PM

Thanks about temp. that's why I needed people with experience. :)

Vic 10-07-2012 05:47 PM

Chinese fire belly newts are relatively low maintenance. They are wimpy and take a long time to respond to food. You can keep maybe 6-8 newts in a 10 gallon. Do not mix them with any other species, because they will be unable to compete for food. They do best in temperatures between 50 and 65 degrees Fahrenheit. Higher temperatures will stress them out. Given that their optimal temperatures are in the cool zone, few plants will work, but I would use egeria densa. They are completely carnivores, and will not bother destroying plants. I fed mine bloodworms and tubifex worms. Mine never ate commercial food. Fun Fact: They eat their shed skin, so do not worry about that.

Soothing Shrimp 10-07-2012 07:31 PM

My leos and cuban at their shed skin, too. I would have to concentrate on keeping their habitat cool, although I think evaporation would help with that.

seandelevan 10-08-2012 01:52 AM

Just know there are two different kinds. You got the Chinese and the Japanese fire belly newts. I have and still do keep both. The Chinese FB are more docile, "roly poly", and bit smaller and the most common to find. The Japanese FB are a little more aggressive, faster, little bit bigger, and harder to find. I've kept both of them together fine. They are constantly scavenging for food. They will try to eat anything they can get their mouths on. I feed mine frozen bloodworms and once in awhile shrimp pellets. But I have personally seen them eat: small worms, small crickets, slugs, snails, small fish, pill bugs, black worms, and probably their favorite frog tadpoles. I've always kept them in my basement where it's usually 67. I have kept them in the low 50's for a winter one time just fine as well. But yeah if it starts hitting 80 they will be trying to escape by crawling up the side of the tank. Keep a lid on it. These guys can escape if given a chance. They have bad eye sight but amazing sense of smell. They do recognize you and begin to swim excitedly around when you get near the tank in anticipation of food. Once in awhile mine will hang out on land but 90% of the time they are in the water. I've noticed the more plants and or cover in the water the more time they spend in it. I have 4 and a juvenile in a 40 gallon. You could do 3-4 in a ten if you provide lots of plants and nooks and crannies for them to explore. These guys are curious and are usually snooping around sniffing everything like a dog. They are cool. I've also kept eastern spotted newts and Oregon newts too. But the fire bellies are the easiest and hardiest to keep.

Soothing Shrimp 10-08-2012 02:26 AM

I love the look of the red salamander, but I agree. I think the FB are a better option for me at this point. I appreciate the shared info!

Learner 10-14-2012 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seandelevan (Post 2036121)
Just know there are two different kinds. You got the Chinese and the Japanese fire belly newts. I have and still do keep both. The Chinese FB are more docile, "roly poly", and bit smaller and the most common to find. The Japanese FB are a little more aggressive, faster, little bit bigger, and harder to find. I've kept both of them together fine. They are constantly scavenging for food. They will try to eat anything they can get their mouths on. I feed mine frozen bloodworms and once in awhile shrimp pellets. But I have personally seen them eat: small worms, small crickets, slugs, snails, small fish, pill bugs, black worms, and probably their favorite frog tadpoles. I've always kept them in my basement where it's usually 67. I have kept them in the low 50's for a winter one time just fine as well. But yeah if it starts hitting 80 they will be trying to escape by crawling up the side of the tank. Keep a lid on it. These guys can escape if given a chance. They have bad eye sight but amazing sense of smell. They do recognize you and begin to swim excitedly around when you get near the tank in anticipation of food. Once in awhile mine will hang out on land but 90% of the time they are in the water. I've noticed the more plants and or cover in the water the more time they spend in it. I have 4 and a juvenile in a 40 gallon. You could do 3-4 in a ten if you provide lots of plants and nooks and crannies for them to explore. These guys are curious and are usually snooping around sniffing everything like a dog. They are cool. I've also kept eastern spotted newts and Oregon newts too. But the fire bellies are the easiest and hardiest to keep.

newts are great herps to keep and watch. There are a sect of guys who live and die with newts. once you learn the ropes, trry for some of the more rare species. they are beautiful.

Learner 10-14-2012 05:31 AM

oops, wrong quote. I jsut received 5 red spotted newts and am building a nice 20 gal vive fro them. they are already trying to breed in my holding enclosure so I am scrambling to get things up and running. have you seen any strangling / courtship behavior from your FBN?

Soothing Shrimp 10-14-2012 02:09 PM

The only challenge I foresee at the present time is keeping their tanks cool.

Chrisinator 10-14-2012 02:36 PM

I just purchased a Paddle-tailed Newt. It is pretty awesome. He's currently in my FBT paludarium but I'm gonna transfer him in a larger tank in a week! They are so cool!