The Planted Tank Forum

The Planted Tank Forum (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/index.php)
-   Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians) (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Any frogs good for an emmersed plant setup? (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=193014)

le0p 10-05-2012 06:17 PM

Any frogs good for an emmersed plant setup?

I'm not too knowledgeable about anything but ACFs and ADFs, but I was thinking of adding a frog to an emmersed plant setup.

The tank would be as such:

Miracle Gro Organic as a substrate
lots of foreground plants
crypts
some wisteria and rotals

I planned to keep the soil very moist and spray it daily or get a mister.

Anyone know of a frog that would like this kind of place? I don't ever plan on flooding the tank.

In.a.Box 10-06-2012 01:20 AM

Green tree?

Chrisinator 10-06-2012 02:12 AM

If you put some driftwood on it, I think a green-tree frog would be so cool.

ADJAquariums 10-06-2012 05:10 PM

Green tree forgs but they are LOUD, same with gray tree frogs, when its becoming night and is humid. Just be aware of that when you pick the frogs. you could also probably do some sort of toad or a lepoard frog? however a leapord frog would need some water.

Chrisinator 10-06-2012 05:12 PM

Im thinking the green tree frogs would be less boisterous when it comes to destroying the plants below.

HybridHerp 10-08-2012 04:41 PM

If you want totally emmersed plants, basically a planted terrarium, I know a common but expensive thing would be to do it with poison dart frogs.
Any type of tree frog could probably work though, I don't see why not. Maybe even fire belly toads (which are actually a frog if I recall correctly)

le0p 10-09-2012 12:33 PM

Would Pacman frogs be out of the picture? I love frogs, so I'm cool with anything but the wife wants it to look pretty too.

Monster Fish 10-09-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le0p (Post 2037490)
Would Pacman frogs be out of the picture? I love frogs, so I'm cool with anything but the wife wants it to look pretty too.

They dig, will trample over plants unless they are potted, get somewhat big, and they can accidentally ingest soil while catching prey items.

le0p 10-09-2012 05:59 PM

Ah, good info. I think I'll stick to Tree Frogs or Dart frogs of some kind.. I don't mind having a small water source to take care of.

AVN 10-09-2012 06:06 PM

Good, cause ADF and ACF are mainly aquatic.

wheatiesl337 10-10-2012 11:32 PM

I raised fire-bellied toads in the past and found them delightful and quite easy to care for. I recall them making noise occaisonally. I believe they are more terrestrial than aquatic, but they enjoy a good swim. If you went with firebellies, I would at least have a bowl of water for them to sit in.

Since I got into keeping planted aquariums, I have been toying with the idea of doing a 50/50 terresterial/aquatic set up for firebellies using crypts and other plants can grow either submerged or emmersed.

le0p 10-11-2012 09:40 AM

I'm not too worried about the noise, I have a zoo at my place. Birds, cats, dogs, nd frogs that make mating calls every night.

More interested in exotic and something that will be happy and healthy in the the tank

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

zoner503 10-15-2012 09:19 PM

golden bell tree frog from Australia

Fishies_in_Philly 10-16-2012 01:10 AM

the only problem with using dart frogs is that they prefer to have leaf litter for ground cover to hide under. having leaf litter will limit your planting areas and space for new growth. the next question is, what's the humidity in the emersed set up? too high eliminates a few tree frogs like red eyed tree frogs.

Fishies_in_Philly 10-16-2012 01:12 AM

forgot to add, i would go with White's tree frogs, they are pretty active, are diurnal, grow a nice size, and like humidity in the 80's. they are extremely easy to care for. just make sure it has a good solid lid on it, they are escape artists. i know from experience....LOL